Ram installation

twiggy00000

Honorable
Mar 2, 2013
I have an Hp Pavillion A1720n, it has an Asus P5LP-LE motherboard, with 4 sticks of DDR2 PC2-5300 • CL=5 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR2-667 • 1.8V • 64Meg x 64 installed. I purchased 2 sticks of 1GB DDR2 PC2-5300 • CL=5 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR2-667 • 1.8V • 128Meg x 64 •
The motherboard has 4 slots for Ram, so i want to remove two of the 512s and add two of the 1GB. Is there a certain order they need to be installed? i Have tried a couple different ways and all i get is a black screen, or stuck on the blue hp invent screen, or some loud beeping from the computer. I tried hitting F10 to look at the setup and it shows the correct RAM that i installed but i just cant get the computer to work. Sorry it was a little long winded but any help would be appreciated

twiggy00000

Honorable
Mar 2, 2013

I'll give it a shot thank you

*Read your MOTHERBOARD MANUAL if possible.

Troubleshooting (in order):
1) Try ONLY the two 1GB sticks in the same spot as the 512MB sticks where.

2) If that works, then try adding the 512MB sticks to the other slots.

3) If the 1GB sticks didn't work, then take ONE of the 512MB sticks and try to boot (If no manual, you'll have to try each slot as only one of them likely works.)

4) Once you figure out which slot works with the 512MB stick, try one of the 1GB sticks (try both, one at a time).

5) If no joy at all then your RAM is defective or else your motherboard is incompatible with it for some reason (It does support up to 4x1GB sticks).

twiggy00000

Honorable
Mar 2, 2013
Well after switching sticks around a bunch of times, its finally working. The winning combo was slot 1=512mb slot 2=1gb Slot 3=512mb slot4=1gb. I went ahead and ordered 2 more 1gb sticks so hopefully when they come in it shouldnt be an all doy process like today.......Anyways thank you guys for your help.

twiggy00000

Honorable
Mar 2, 2013

Thats kinda what I thought. When I first tried to install them the 512s where in the black and the the 1gb in the blue and it wouldnt work. Of course this morning I woke up and now the computer wont power on, the blue light flashes for a sec but thats it. Probably gonna just buy a new tower tired of messing with it. Its old anyway

twiggy00000

Honorable
Mar 2, 2013

Thats kinda what i thought too, I'm almost positive that my initial attempt had them in their seperate color slots but idk. of course now the computer wont power on, the blue light flashes for a sec but thats it.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Have you ruled out a bad stick of RAM? If you have the time (and if you can get your PC to boot to CD), run memtest on each stick individually with it in the 1st slot. Let it run for at least one full pass. Once you verify all sticks are good, take one of the sticks and put it alone in each slot running memtest disk for another pass.

Memtest ISO to make bootable CD: http://www.memtest.org/