Ram is 1866Mhz but runs at 1333Mhz?

willow_spy1967

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010
Hello,
I have recently upgraded a home built pc and do not get the full speed from my 6GB DDR3 Ram I purchased. The Motherboard is an ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO and the Ram is Kingston Hyper X. The motherboard says it'll accept up to 1800+ DDR3 ram which is why I went for this speed. I assume OC means overclocking as it also displays this on the box next to the numbers. Trouble is I'm not sure how to overclock the ram to this speed. I have looked in the BIOS but am confused by voltage increments and suchlike. Nowhere is there a simple obvious choice on the menus. Any help or advise on this would be really fantastic. I am running Windows 7 64bit.

Hello Willow.

The reason you cannot use the full potential of your RAM is because you don't have your system overclocked(OC). The 1866MHz is the max speed that your RAM can operate at. The 1333 MHZ is the default speed for your motherboard/BIOS/RAM configuration.

Overclocking isn't all that difficult once you understand it. The reason a lot of people are afraid to OC their systems is because they don't know what to do and don't want to screw something up. If you want to learn how to OC, there is a lot of information in this community, just read the stickies.