RAM Is More Necessary?

Grogar123

Honorable
Dec 22, 2013
I was chatting with my dad the other day and he was talking to one of his friends (which happens to be an IT Pro) and he my dad asked him if RAM really improves if you have more? My dads friend said no, that at a certain point its just overkill and there is a certain limit and after that its just a bigger number and I don't know if that's true or not and i wanted to post this so i can get opinions from the community.

Solution
It really depends upon what you are doing. If you are using the computer for email, browsing the internet and other light duties - 4GB is fine. The sweet spot is about 8GB for most applications, and 16GB is the maximum I would install on a machine, unless you are heavy into advanced applications that would utilize that much RAM.
It really depends upon what you are doing. If you are using the computer for email, browsing the internet and other light duties - 4GB is fine. The sweet spot is about 8GB for most applications, and 16GB is the maximum I would install on a machine, unless you are heavy into advanced applications that would utilize that much RAM.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
With current OSs and applications, generally anything beyond 8GB is just sitting there.

Rendering large videos or managing 100 large pictures at once? More RAM.
Running multiple Virtual Machines? More RAM. I do this....2 or 3 VMs at a time, each taking up 2/3/4GB of RAM.

If what you're doing does not use that extra RAM, it's just sitting there. Doing nothing.

Hazle

Distinguished
depends on your application;normal everyday application like word processing, surfing & video may not see well beyond 4gb of use, though considering how cheap it is, people go for 8gb which is just more than enough for gaming. 16gb+ are more required in more professional tasks like rendering, editing, etc.

as for future applications, with DDR4 apparently on the horizon & each new CPU & chipset iteration being able to utilize faster ram at stock than the previous, speed may matter more than quantity, at least until we hit a wall or price/gb sees a massive fall enough to have developers start using more RAM since it'll be cheap, whichever comes first.

Manolis T

Honorable
Feb 11, 2014
I guess it depends on how much RAM your PC uses. For example let's say that you have 4GB installed and your PC uses 2GB, even if you installed an 8GB RAM your PC would still use 2GB.I think that it really depends on what type of applications and how many of them you use at once. I myself use a 4GB RAM stick. Without any applications open, my PC uses about 500MB of RAM storage, but considering that most games I play will use about 1-1.5GB of RAM I have installed a 4GB RAM stick so I will still have about 2GB for other applications like Steam, Skype, IE11 etc. while running a game.

*It also depends on your OS(newer OS's will require more RAM)

Latest posts