Question RAM is severely underperforming?

Apr 1, 2023
Specs:
I9-11900k
Nvidia 3070ti
Corsair CMW32GX4M2D3600C18 2x16GB
ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Windows 10

So I've been having FPS concerns in a lot of newer games for the past few months. While my friends are able to often achieve much higher FPS with lower specs, I'm consistently stuck a little behind the curve. This coupled with the fact that I often get stuttering issues with first person shooters. I have higher end specs, so I've been fighting to figure out why this is happening. My temps are fine and I'm usually not capping out on cpu or gpu usage.

This prompted me to run UserBenchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/60449135

As you can see, my RAM is in the 8th percentile of what it should be. I DO have XMP enabled, and I have tried both XMP profiles 1 & 2, each with the same results in UserBenchmark. Following another post on this forum, I did identify that my motherboard doesn't seem to fully support XMP profiles for my RAM? I looked through the qvl list here: https://www.asus.com/motherboards-components/motherboards/prime/prime-h570-plus/helpdesk_cpu/?model2Name=PRIME-H570-PLUS

Edit: Turns out ASUS H570-Plus does state there is XMP support for my RAM (CMW32GX4M2D3600C18) - See below thread for an image which highlights this on their page

Is my issue my RAM's compatibility with my mobo? Is it something else? A setting? A configuration issue?

4Tcu4ft.png

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2023
Is the installed memory from a kit of matched RAM modules (2 x 16 GB) for dual channel use?

This motherboard?

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1200/PRIME_H570-PLUS/E17770_PRIME_H570-PLUS_UM_web.pdf?model=PRIME H570-PLUS

[Verify that I found the correct User Manual.]

Double check supported RAM (Page vi) , and current RAM slot installation (physically numbered Page 1-9).

That's the correct user manual. I currently have my VENGEANCE® RGB PRO 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 DRAM 3600MHz C18 Memory Kit (CMW32GX4M2D3600C18) in slots A1 & A2. As far as supported RAM, according to the manual, the 3600 IS supported, but when looking at the QVL on the ASUS website, it doesn't mention any XMP support for another RAM beyond C16 variants: https://www.asus.com/motherboards-c...plus/helpdesk_cpu/?model2Name=PRIME-H570-PLUS

Is this my problem? I used pcpartpicker to put this build together, and didn't even know QVL/XMP support was a thing until about 2 days ago when I started my investigation

Ralston18

Titan
"and didn't even know QVL/XMP support was a thing until about 2 days ago when I started my investigation "

Indeed and that is not uncommon. We do not know what we do not know. :)

And all too often the focus is on what works or might work versus what will not work. The latter often left unsaid.

= = = =

Another way to go about checking the RAM is to visit various RAM manufacturer's websites.

Most RAM manufacturers offer some tool that you use to enter motherboard information and the manufacturer then provides a list of their RAM products that are supported by the motherboard.

Not at all a perfect system.

Check as many manufacturer's as you can with the focus being on the RAM module specifications of their product(s) as compared to what the motherboard supports. Key is the motherboard make, model, and revision. Have that information handy. And the motherboard serial number....

Objective being to find some consensus regarding the RAM module specs/products supported by the motherboard.

Also in CPU-z check the SPD tab.

Compare slots and timings.

Apr 1, 2023
"and didn't even know QVL/XMP support was a thing until about 2 days ago when I started my investigation "

Indeed and that is not uncommon. We do not know what we do not know. :)

And all too often the focus is on what works or might work versus what will not work. The latter often left unsaid.

= = = =

Another way to go about checking the RAM is to visit various RAM manufacturer's websites.

Most RAM manufacturers offer some tool that you use to enter motherboard information and the manufacturer then provides a list of their RAM products that are supported by the motherboard.

Not at all a perfect system.

Check as many manufacturer's as you can with the focus being on the RAM module specifications of their product(s) as compared to what the motherboard supports. Key is the motherboard make, model, and revision. Have that information handy. And the motherboard serial number....

Objective being to find some consensus regarding the RAM module specs/products supported by the motherboard.

Also in CPU-z check the SPD tab.

Compare slots and timings.

Much appreciated.

Just to make sure that I understand: Moving forward, look at RAM that is specifically compatible with my mobo's QVL/XMP settings and focus on purchasing something that will be properly supported?

Then swap it in and verify? I guess I'm SooL on my current RAM? Just hurts to have $100 down the drain like that, but such is life, I suppose.

Ralston18

Titan
I see no harm into delving into the problem a bit more before taking any other actions.

Hopefully someone else will take a look at this thread and perhaps note some error of omission or commission on my part.

And/or offer other suggestions. I have no problems with that.

Do post additional images of CPU-z and the SPD tab results for the slots involved. Especially if there are differences where there should not be any differences.

If possible try to borrow compatible RAM from a family member or friend.

Or, if purchased, verify beforehand, the return/RMA policies if the RAM does not work.

Who knows what all else can get tossed into an order or the packaging process when things run out and an order must be shipped.....

Cynicism conceded.

Apr 1, 2023
I'm an idiot and didn't have the correct chipset selected on the ASUS QVL/XMP page. Turns out it states it does have proper XMP support for my RAm, so now I'm very unsure of why it's underperforming. See highlighted portion of the image below.

1w7Dggx.png

Apr 1, 2023
jb7Bn4Y.png

@Ralston18

Looking back at the manual you posted, I now see that I have my RAM in slots A1/A2, and not the rec'd B2/A2. Could this be my problem?

My B1/B2 slots are blocked by my massive air cooler. Is this a case where slapping a smaller cooler (going from air to water - most likely) would enable me to have a proper RAM config and have better performance?

jb7Bn4Y.png

@Ralston18

Looking back at the manual you posted, I now see that I have my RAM in slots A1/A2, and not the rec'd B2/A2. Could this be my problem?

My B1/B2 slots are blocked by my massive air cooler. Is this a case where slapping a smaller cooler (going from air to water - most likely) would enable me to have a proper RAM config and have better performance?
You need to figure out how your going to get the ram into a2+b2.
It might be a matter of removing the cooler then fitting the ram then reinstall the cooler.

Ralston18

Titan
If the RAM is not installed in accordance with the motherboard's installation guidelines that would be, indeed, be the problem.

Very likely that a physically smaller cooler will be needed in order to allow access to all four RAM slots.

Caveat being no information regarding the current cooler and its' actual installation.

There is also the concern that a smaller cooler may or may not provide the cooling necessary for your build. High temperatures lead to other problems.

Provide some additional information: make and model cooler, specs, etc.. Case information and so forth.

It may or may not be feasible to remove the cooler, install the RAM via A2+B2, and then reinstall the cooler as mentioned above.

And, if the RAM problems continue then all has to be undone again.....

My suggestion is to take a couple of photographs that show the current cooler installation. RAM slots, etc..

Post the photographs here via imgur (www.imgur.com).

Basically it is likely that a full "do over" will be needed.

However, with more information and photographs someone may be able to provide other ideas and options.

Specs:
I9-11900k
Nvidia 3070ti
Corsair CMW32GX4M2D3600C18 2x16GB
ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Windows 10

So I've been having FPS concerns in a lot of newer games for the past few months. While my friends are able to often achieve much higher FPS with lower specs, I'm consistently stuck a little behind the curve. This coupled with the fact that I often get stuttering issues with first person shooters. I have higher end specs, so I've been fighting to figure out why this is happening. My temps are fine and I'm usually not capping out on cpu or gpu usage.

This prompted me to run UserBenchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/60449135

As you can see, my RAM is in the 8th percentile of what it should be. I DO have XMP enabled, and I have tried both XMP profiles 1 & 2, each with the same results in UserBenchmark. Following another post on this forum, I did identify that my motherboard doesn't seem to fully support XMP profiles for my RAM? I looked through the qvl list here: https://www.asus.com/motherboards-components/motherboards/prime/prime-h570-plus/helpdesk_cpu/?model2Name=PRIME-H570-PLUS

Edit: Turns out ASUS H570-Plus does state there is XMP support for my RAM (CMW32GX4M2D3600C18) - See below thread for an image which highlights this on their page

Is my issue my RAM's compatibility with my mobo? Is it something else? A setting? A configuration issue?

4Tcu4ft.png
This is telling you the RAM is running single channel and not dual channel. Not having the RAM in the correct slots may be the cause.

Reactions: Ralston18