Ram issue 64 bit operating system

1Master

Reputable
Dec 19, 2014
Hello guys , hope this thread finds you well
I installed an extra 4gb ram lately in this case i upgraded my operating system to 64 bit
this is my system aspects :
Windows 7 Home Premium
intel core i5 CPU : 750 @ 2.67 GHz 2.79 GHz
64 bit operating system
Ram: 8 GB ( 4 usable only )
as you can see in red the usable amount only 4 gb which is confusing me and interrupting me to continue on my work
Please Reply as soon as possible
thank you so much and peace out !!
Best Regards
sorry guys it's repeated because i clicked solved by mistake

Solution

Hi,

I remember dealing with a few very odd cases involving the Intel 5 series chipsets when the amount of installed memory is raised above 4GiB.

Step 1: Clear the firmware settings. This will force the firmware to perform a full reinitialization of everything. Consult your motherboard on how to do this.

Step 2: If Step #1 does not fix the issue, it's possible that the new memory module is faulty. Attempt to boot the system with each stick individually. If both modules work properly, then it's possible that the motherboard is faulty; try one stick at a time in each slot to see if a slot or pair of slots refuses to boot.

1Master

Reputable
Dec 19, 2014

step 1 can you explain how can i clear the firmware ?
step 2 well look i have 3 sticks 2 : 2gb each and 1 4 gb which is the new one
i tried the new one alone and removed the others the installed rams are shown as 4 gb without "(example usable)"
but when i attach all of them it says 8 gb installed and 4 gb usable
do you think the system will use the rest when needed ?

1. The process to clear the firmware settings is motherboard specific. Usually it involves pressing a button, moving a jumper, or removing the motherboard battery. An extremely common misnomer is "clear CMOS".

2. No, it will say 8GB installed when it is all working properly.

1Master

Reputable
Dec 19, 2014

I just tried Clearing Cmos as you said saved and quit
but still 4 usable out of 8

Test each of the DIMM slots individually using a single stick only.

1Master

Reputable
Dec 19, 2014

aaaah pressed solved by mistake :\
unsolve it
i tried the each slot with one stick method
all of them worked on 1, 2 and 4
3 doesn't seem to be working !
don't know maybe i tried something wrong im not sure but im confused

That sounds like the issue.

Put the 2x2GiB in slots 1 and 2, then put the 4GiB in slot 4. Let me know if that correctly recognizes all 8GiB

Solution

Glad to hear it.

Search your firmware settings for something along the lines of "PCI Memory Hole Remap" and enable it if found. This should recover the bulk of the remaining memory that's been disabled.

1Master

Reputable
Dec 19, 2014

Alright Thanks!!