[SOLVED] RAM issue on Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC ?

kingbowcat

Reputable
Oct 9, 2019
What I thought was originally a ram problem. I couldnt install windows took ages to work out it was ram. I took the right slot stick out (4th to the right) so only one on second left was in. I set it on slow XMP, it installed. I put back in. Couldn't decompress huge files would get an error. So I did what I did before removed the 'dodgy' ram on the 4th to right. Set low XMP again. Bam decompressed fine.

So I think to swap the 'good ram' with the 'dodgy' ram thinking it wouldnt decompress on same XMP. But it DID. So I think the ram slot is the issue. I try all kinds of different slots for both RAM cards. Doesn't boot. So do you think I should RMA this mobo? Such a ball ache having to go through set up and windows installation all over again.. Or do you think when ever I have to decompress large files or complex installation I should just remove the one stick and put back in after? 16 gig ram is recognised at the correct speeds when both are in..

My PC spec is in signature and im on latest BIOS ect. Now I can't even boot with both memory sticks in usual spot only with ONE! I could just buy one 16 or 32 gig card for this one slot.. I'd rather do that than RMA this board.. I think.

Last edited:
Solution
What I thought was originally a ram problem. I couldnt install windows took ages to work out it was ram. I took the right slot stick out (4th to the right) so only one on second left was in. I set it on slow XMP, it installed. I put back in. Couldn't decompress huge files would get an error. So I did what I did before removed the 'dodgy' ram on the 4th to right. Set low XMP again. Bam decompressed fine.

So I think to swap the 'good ram' with the 'dodgy' ram thinking it wouldnt decompress on same XMP. But it DID. So I think the ram slot is the issue. I try all kinds of different slots for both RAM cards. Doesn't boot. So do you think I should RMA this mobo? Such a ball ache having to go through set up and windows installation all...

So I think to swap the 'good ram' with the 'dodgy' ram thinking it wouldnt decompress on same XMP. But it DID. So I think the ram slot is the issue. I try all kinds of different slots for both RAM cards. Doesn't boot. So do you think I should RMA this mobo? Such a ball ache having to go through set up and windows installation all over again.. Or do you think when ever I have to decompress large files or complex installation I should just remove the one stick and put back in after? 16 gig ram is recognised at the correct speeds when both are in..

My PC spec is in signature and im on latest BIOS ect. Now I can't even boot with both memory sticks in usual spot only with ONE! I could just buy one 16 or 32 gig card for this one slot.. I'd rather do that than RMA this board.. I think.
First you need to check your RAM sticks independently and together in slots described in MB manual, reset CMOS between changes.
https://www.memtest86.com/download.htm
It may be possible but not common that mixing RAM (even same make and model) would work together well. Buying them in pairs is best, followed by 2 of same make and model as well as capacity. IF they are in MB's compatibility list can be added bonus.

Solution