Question RAM issue on LG Gram 15Z980 laptop ?

Feb 12, 2023
LG Gram 15Z980 laptop has 16GB RAM (8gb onboard/permanent, 8gb installed in MB socket).

Problem, computer freezes after a couple minutes of use and then returns a blue error screen (different errors returned, not the same one each time). At this point the laptop usually shuts down, and then goes into a boot loop... every 5 secs or so all the keyboard lights go on, and then dims again after a few secs... and then this repeats until the battery dies. Long pressing the power button does nothing, and the screen never lights up when this boot loop occurs.

To get past this, I've had to open the case, disconnect & reconnect the battery and remove and replace the RAM module. Then the computer will restart like normal... and after a few minutes of use, the same thing reoccurs.

I've inspected the RAM SLOT on the MB and the RAM sticks with a high magnification visor and there are no visible physical issues (bent or shorted pins etc), everything appears pristine. I also purchased two additional RAM modules with identical specs, and tried those, each time getting the same result, computer freezes, bsod, boot loop. Did a memtest on the RAM, and it is okay.

I removed the external RAM and ran the system with just the onboard 8gb permanent RAM, and the system runs just fine. Even upgraded Win 10 to Win 11 with no problem. But even with Win 11 installed, still can't add RAM to the MB socket, It'll freeze, bsod, boot loop. Remove the external RAM, runs fine.

My conclusion: RAM is ok, & RAM socket has no signs of visible damage. So I probably either have to use this laptop as is with the 8gb onboard, or replace the MB if I really want that 16gb RAM. I also tried resetting the bios (Phoenix) to default settings, but that didn't change anything and there does not appear to be any bios update available,

Thoughts?

Feb 12, 2023
This is what I found for memory for your model. Memory-Up - Black Diamond Memory
I appreciate the reply, however I already have working, tested, and guaranteed compatible memory sticks that I have attempted to utilize; which I assume would have been apparent to anyone who actually took the time to read my post.

My post was not a request for assistance in finding memory sticks... I already know how to use Google, but thanks anyway.

I am trying to troubleshoot a BSOD issue whenever the RAM slot on the MB is utilized.

I appreciate the reply, however I already have working, tested, and guaranteed compatible memory sticks that I have attempted to utilize; which I assume would have been apparent to anyone who actually took the time to read my post.

My post was not a request for assistance in finding memory sticks... I already know how to use Google, but thanks anyway.

I am trying to troubleshoot a BSOD issue whenever the RAM slot on the MB is utilized.
Did this ever work with an added stick?

I did take time to read your post. I was merely showing you what I had found as recommended memory so that you could compare yours against it to see if they seemed the same. Trouble shooting is a process. It would also help to post what bsod messages you did receive in order to further troubleshoot other options.

Feb 12, 2023
Did this ever work with an added stick?

I am not the original owner. This laptop was originally configured and sold by the manufacturer with 16gb RAM (8gb permanent/system, and 8gb DDR 2400 in the only onboard RAM socket.

The 8gb RAM stick that was installed when I bought this appears to be the factory original supplied by LG.

Because I suspected the BSOD to be a RAM issue, I purchased an identical stick of RAM (and then another), and found that the same BSOD/boot loop occurred after a couple minutes or so no matter what RAM stick was inserted.

It wasn't until I decided to try running the pc without any installed RAM (relying only upon the onboard 8gb) that I was able to get the pc to run flawlessly.
I did take time to read your post. I was merely showing you what I had found as recommended memory so that you could compare yours against it to see if they seemed the same. Trouble shooting is a process. It would also help to post what bsod messages you did receive in order to further troubleshoot other options.

Feb 12, 2023
The errors varied and I searched them and didn't find anything helpful. This was an eBay purchase (for parts or not working); with the original RAM, but no M2 SSD. I put an SSD in, and was able to get it to boot to USB and then install Win 10 on the M2.

The most valuable piece of info was when I removed the external RAM entirely, inspected the socket under magnification and could see no physical damage, and then ran the system with no external RAM at all, and it has run flawlessly like this. Put any RAM in the slot, BSOD. Take the RAM out, runs smooth.

Changed windows versions, 10 to 11. Tried resetting the bios to defaults. Got into the advanced bios settings and tried changing some of the advanced memory configuration settings, but still no luck. BSOD if external RAM is installed.

But I'm not a tech. I thought I had covered most of the bases, so my post was to see if there was something I hadn't considered that somebody more knowledgeable than me would suggest.

I think I have to live with this, with only the 8gb onboard RAM. It appears I've exhausted all the easy fixes, and the only option left (in order to get to 16gb RAM) would be too replace the MB. Since that's like $300+ expense, and I only paid $200 for this LG Gram with i7 & 8gb RAM & touchscreen ... I think I'd just choose to live with the 8gb.

I am not the original owner. This laptop was originally configured and sold by the manufacturer with 16gb RAM (8gb permanent/system, and 8gb DDR 2400 in the only onboard RAM socket.

The 8gb RAM stick that was installed when I bought this appears to be the factory original supplied by LG.

Because I suspected the BSOD to be a RAM issue, I purchased an identical stick of RAM (and then another), and found that the same BSOD/boot loop occurred after a couple minutes or so no matter what RAM stick was inserted.

It wasn't until I decided to try running the pc without any installed RAM (relying only upon the onboard 8gb) that I was able to get the pc to run flawlessly.
So it's possible this never worked from day 1.

Perhaps remove the cpu and check for any pin or socket damage
or just use the pc with 8GB of ram.

Feb 12, 2023
So it's possible this never worked from day 1.

Per

haps remove the cpu and check for any pin or socket damage
or just use the pc with 8GB of ram.
Cpu is soldered in. I assume this was working when it was sold to the original owner, but who knows what happened to cause the fault... a bad component that bit the dust, voltage spike/lightning, etc etc etc

The RAM appears to be fine (and I tried a few to be sure). The RAM socket appears to be pristine. No signs of spills or water damage inside or outside, no dents or signs of drops, screen is 100% intact, some minor scuffs and scratches on the case from normal use.

As mentioned I'm not a tech so my post here was a last ditch hail Mary to the knowledgeable people to see if there was something I missed.