RAM issue with i7-4770k

operationc4

Reputable
Feb 4, 2019
Hello,

I'm moderately skilled at building PC's, but I have recently come into a rather odd conundrum. I recently got an i7-4770k that was never overclocked from my brother after he fried his motherboard. I was tasked with testing it since I was the only one in the family with a computer that had the right socket.

My PC build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/YhVfZR

Here's the issue, the processor works, but it only boots with one RAM stick in (DDR3-1333 MHz). When I try putting in two or more RAM sticks, it won't even POST (and yes, they're in dual-channel). I know all of the RAM sticks work, and I've tried resetting the BIOS, but nothing I've done will get it to work.

After researching online, the only similar issues I've been able to find have to do with the XMP profiles, but my BIOS doesn't have XMP. I have found nothing on whether or not the 4770k needs XMP. Plus, I have no idea how that could have anything to do with the issue at hand.

In conclusion, I'm trying to figure out whether the processor is busted or whether there's some incompatibility or incompetency I'm unaware of. If it has to do with XMP, I would greatly appreciate a good explanation as to why.

Thanks.

operationc4

Reputable
Feb 4, 2019

If you're asking whether or not they work, then yes, I do know they work. Whether you want me to test if the processor recognizes RAM in those slots, I don't know at the moment.

operationc4

Reputable
Feb 4, 2019

I was able to test the other RAM slots (with just one RAM card) and it didn't POST

operationc4

Reputable
Feb 4, 2019

I actually unbent a pin ever so slightly, and now it is booting with multiple RAM cards.
Thanks a lot!

You're welcome. Glad it helped.

operationc4

Reputable
Feb 4, 2019

UPDATE: Now it's only working with two RAM sticks in pretty much any configuration. I jumped the gun a little.