Question Ram issue

Sep 22, 2019
Hello, i am new here and i am not an expert of pc, i have a question.. i have 1 slot ram occupied by a corsair vengeance lpx, it is a 2x8 ddr4 3000mhz, but i have just 1 of them...if now i buy just a 1x8 gb of ram ddr4 3000 mhz of vengeance lpx, even though it's not picked up by the 2x8 banch, can I use it?

You can try. That is all anybody can tell you.

You are always better off to get memory together, in a set. But you can certainly TRY to use memory that did not come together. It is best if you try to get another stick that is the same speed and has the same timings, for example if your sticks are 16-16-16-32 then you want another stick with those same timings. That will give you the best chance for them to work together. Being the same part number, if possible, would be better still.

So, it might work, but it might not. There are no guarantees when you start trying to use mixed memory.

Reactions: Lucas24
Sep 22, 2019
You can try. That is all anybody can tell you.

You are always better off to get memory together, in a set. But you can certainly TRY to use memory that did not come together. It is best if you try to get another stick that is the same speed and has the same timings, for example if your sticks are 16-16-16-32 then you want another stick with those same timings. That will give you the best chance for them to work together. Being the same part number, if possible, would be better still.

So, it might work, but it might not. There are no guarantees when you start trying to use mixed memory.
The timing are slightly different, for example the first number is the same but the other 3 are slightly different, thanks for the answer anyway. I'll try to buy 1 stick of 16 then, without doing any harm by putting 2 different ones together.

Last edited:
I wouldn't. You are almost never better off with a single stick unless you simply must have the higher capacity and a second stick isn't an option. The reason being that you can't get dual channel operation, which doubles the memory bandwidth, with a single stick. I'd try to find another stick as close as possible to your current stick and take my chances that I might have to return it if it doesn't want to play nice with the other stick. The timings don't HAVE to be the same, it just increases the chances that they will play nice together. Most motherboards will simply default to timings that are able to be compatible with all installed sticks, if at all possible, which is called memory training.