[SOLVED] RAM Issues After Upgrading PC/How do I Setup 4 RAM Sticks

donkeydude125

Reputable
Aug 3, 2019
After upgrading my PC and putting everything into it's new case it seems to be working, except the RAM. I had all 4 RAM sticks in my MOBO when I booted up for the first time and just got a black screen. I tried taking 2 sticks out and it seemed to boot up normally.
Here is my new parts list: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/RdJzGL
And here is my old part list: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/NJvNXP

I decided to eject and reinstall my 4 RAM sticks in various combinations and in different slots to see what would happen and I noticed:
1. One of my older RAM sticks seems to be broken? Whenever I stuck it in by itself or with another RAM stick my PC wouldn't boot.

2. Initially I was able to boot my PC using only one RAM stick, but after finicking around it doesn't seem to boot unless I use 2 sticks.

3. Sometimes a screen would pop asking if I wanna change my BIOS settings for use the defaults, I just kept the defaults.

4. The four Error Debug LED's on my Motherboard would keep changing until my PC booted up properly, I've never noticed that so I don't know if that's normal.

5. Either the CPU Led or BOOT Led would light up if my computer didn't boot up properly.

The main issue seems to be one of my older RAM sticks, but how and why did only that one stick break now? I don't remember dropping it, the only sign I got that it might be broken is the blue screen I got a while back before I got all my new parts. It was the first blue screen I ever got on my PC.

So what should I do with the seemingly broken stick of RAM? Are there ways to possibly revive it? Can it be repaired? I'm guessing not for the most part, so If I have to replace it, is it possible to buy only one stick or RAM? Could I use the warranty on my new sticks to get an extra one somehow?

Before I installed my new RAM sticks I thought I would just have to stick them in and change something in the BIOS settings, that doesn't seem to be the case. So what do I do in order to switch from 2 sticks to 4? And is it possible to use 3 sticks for the time being?

((Also not very important but, I had to update my Motherboard BIOS to use my new CPU. The downside to that is it reverted the BIOS menu from "MSI Click Bios 5" to an older uglier one. Is there a way to revert to the "MSI Click Bios 5" menu while keeping the rest of the necessary update data?))

Solution
Memory generally has a lifetime warranty so if you have access to the original purchase information for your older memory kit you should not have a problem getting it replaced through G.Skill if you are certain that one of the sticks is dead.

Keep in mind though that memory should optimally be purchased in a single kit, not multiple kits, even if they are the same kit model. Memory is only guaranteed to work together when it is all purchased together in one kit. When purchased in multiple kits there can be a number of different reasons why one or more sticks may not want to "play nice" with the others. This is probably not the primary factor in your case since your single stick won't even work by itself, but it is still something to...
Memory generally has a lifetime warranty so if you have access to the original purchase information for your older memory kit you should not have a problem getting it replaced through G.Skill if you are certain that one of the sticks is dead.

Keep in mind though that memory should optimally be purchased in a single kit, not multiple kits, even if they are the same kit model. Memory is only guaranteed to work together when it is all purchased together in one kit. When purchased in multiple kits there can be a number of different reasons why one or more sticks may not want to "play nice" with the others. This is probably not the primary factor in your case since your single stick won't even work by itself, but it is still something to be aware of.

As to why it isn't working, there's no telling. It's pretty uncommon for a stick of memory that was working to just suddenly stop working. If the stick IS bad, there is really no fixing it, so why it isn't working also doesn't really matter.

Section two titled "The odd man out (Or mixed memory)" at the following link offers more in depth explanation of why mixing memory from different kits is generally unwise.

Solution

donkeydude125

Reputable
Aug 3, 2019

Keep in mind though that memory should optimally be purchased in a single kit, not multiple kits, even if they are the same kit model. Memory is only guaranteed to work together when it is all purchased together in one kit. When purchased in multiple kits there can be a number of different reasons why one or more sticks may not want to "play nice" with the others. This is probably not the primary factor in your case since your single stick won't even work by itself, but it is still something to be aware of.

As to why it isn't working, there's no telling. It's pretty uncommon for a stick of memory that was working to just suddenly stop working. If the stick IS bad, there is really no fixing it, so why it isn't working also doesn't really matter.

Section two titled "The odd man out (Or mixed memory)" at the following link offers more in depth explanation of why mixing memory from different kits is generally unwise.

I did a quick read of the link you sent and based on what you/it said, if I was able to get my broken RAM stick replaced wouldn't it still cause issues because it isn't the original stick that came with the pair? Would my best option be to refund my 2 new sticks and buy a pack of 4? Would buying 2 packs of 2 sticks from the same website at the same time work too? Or buy two 16GB sticks?

Also after a couple hours of using my PC while using 2 RAM sticks, one new and one old, I got a bluescreen. Maybe it was the RAM, or is the new CPU + Cooler more likely? And are there any other ways to test if the stick is busted?

Last edited:
When one stick fails in a memory kit you want to make sure to not settle for them replacing just the faulty stick. You want the whole kit replaced. Memory is sold in kits for a reason and so yes, you are right that having just one stick replaced COULD insert more problems into the equation.

In my opinion, I'd recommend getting a refund on the new kit, and then buy a single kit of 2 x16GB. Four DIMMs can sometimes be problematic. If you DO decide to run four DIMMs then you'd want them to all come in the same kit.

Was the RAM being run at it's default configuration or was A-XMP enabled? Did you try running only the two new DIMMs to see if you have similar errors?

Reactions: Richj444

donkeydude125

Reputable
Aug 3, 2019
When one stick fails in a memory kit you want to make sure to not settle for them replacing just the faulty stick. You want the whole kit replaced. Memory is sold in kits for a reason and so yes, you are right that having just one stick replaced COULD insert more problems into the equation.

In my opinion, I'd recommend getting a refund on the new kit, and then buy a single kit of 2 x16GB. Four DIMMs can sometimes be problematic. If you DO decide to run four DIMMs then you'd want them to all come in the same kit.

Was the RAM being run at it's default configuration or was A-XMP enabled? Did you try running only the two new DIMMs to see if you have similar errors?

If I can get the faulty stick replaced I'll do that.

Would using 2 X 16GB sticks instead of 2X 8GB sticks cause any of it's own issues for my Motherboard or anything else?

I don't think I changed the configuration, I don't even really know how to. I've ran the 2 new DIMMs together and my PC booted fine but I didn't use them very long, my last test was a new and old DIMM together and after that I didn't change them again.

If I purchase 2 X 16GB sticks what can I do with my old ones? Aside from using them for backup is there anything else I can do with them?
Lastly, do you have any DIMM recommendations since I'll probably be buying new ones again?

If you buy new sticks, and get your old ones replaced, then you can either keep them around for spares or sell them to offset some of the cost of your purchase.

I'd recommend G.Skill Ripjaws or Trident Z sticks, but make sure to get a kit that is listed as compatible on the motherboard QVL list or the G.Skill memory configurator.

https://www.gskill.com/configurator

As far as changing the configuration, you will need to go into the BIOS and enable the XMP profile. Otherwise, your memory will likely only be running at the default JEDEC configuration speed of 2133mhz rather than whatever speed they are actually supposed to be running at based on advertised speed.

You can enable XMP as seen in this video.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZUW_iqNJQA

donkeydude125

Reputable
Aug 3, 2019
If you buy new sticks, and get your old ones replaced, then you can either keep them around for spares or sell them to offset some of the cost of your purchase.

I'd recommend G.Skill Ripjaws or Trident Z sticks, but make sure to get a kit that is listed as compatible on the motherboard QVL list or the G.Skill memory configurator.

https://www.gskill.com/configurator

As far as changing the configuration, you will need to go into the BIOS and enable the XMP profile. Otherwise, your memory will likely only be running at the default JEDEC configuration speed of 2133mhz rather than whatever speed they are actually supposed to be running at based on advertised speed.

You can enable XMP as seen in this video.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZUW_iqNJQA

I'll take my old DIMM out and use 2 new DIMMs instead and enable XMP, I'll see what happens. Again do 2 X 16GB DIMMs have it's own issues that 2 x 8GB DIMMs don't have?

I used the website you linked and apparently my Motherboard doesn't support the current DIMM model I'm using if it was 16G.
Apparently it doesn't support this: https://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=24_311_1326&item_id=099478

I guess I'll just have to get a different model, but while looking I noticed that the 2 x 16GB DIMMs have lower speeds? I couldn't find any 2 x 16GB DIMMs that were 3200 that supported my MOBO. Does the lower speed really effect anything if I'm getting more GBs?

Yes, the speed is a big factor. Huge. Having enough capacity is important, of course, but memory speed is a critical piece of the performance on Ryzen platforms. Any platform really, but maybe even a bit more important with Ryzen.

On the memory, there are discrepancies sometimes on what is compatible because many of the memory kits didn't even exist yet back when that board was new and the compatibility testing was done on it. That board was released five years ago. Most of the currently available memory kits are probably newer than that.

These should work fine since the Flare X sticks are specifically made for Ryzen platforms.

PCPartPicker Part List

Memory: G.Skill Flare X 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($105.87 @ Amazon)
Total: $105.87
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-10-24 01:50 EDT-0400

donkeydude125

Reputable
Aug 3, 2019
Yes, the speed is a big factor. Huge. Having enough capacity is important, of course, but memory speed is a critical piece of the performance on Ryzen platforms. Any platform really, but maybe even a bit more important with Ryzen.

On the memory, there are discrepancies sometimes on what is compatible because many of the memory kits didn't even exist yet back when that board was new and the compatibility testing was done on it. That board was released five years ago. Most of the currently available memory kits are probably newer than that.

These should work fine since the Flare X sticks are specifically made for Ryzen platforms.

PCPartPicker Part List

Memory: G.Skill Flare X 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($105.87 @ Amazon)
Total: $105.87
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-10-24 01:50 EDT-0400

Ok so the ones I was thinking of getting should still work? Guess I'll choose one of the two and start returning stuff, thanks for the help.

No guarantees. The Flare X sticks should for sure work because they are specifically made for Ryzen platforms. The Ripjaws, some kits work, some don't. And that is because generally speaking except for the Flare X and Trident Z Neos, which also are made for Ryzen platforms, most of the kits out there are made with timings that favor Intel platforms. So, that doesn't mean they won't work fine with on AMD platforms but some kits will work on some boards and some won't.

If you go with the Flare X or Trident Z Neos sticks, or another of the kits listed either on the motherboard QVL (Qualified vendor list, which can be found under the compatibility tab on the motherboard product page by CPU model sort) or listed as compatible on the G.Skill memory configurator, Corsair memory finder or Crucial memory advisor web pages, then you are a lot more likely to avoid issues. Even then, there can still sometimes be problems but it's much less likely.

Any of those kits would be good choices, Flare X or Trident Z Neos, if looking at G.Skill sticks. However, I just used almost the exact same Ripjaws kit you posted about three weeks ago in a Ryzen build with an ASRock B550 Pro4 and they worked fine, so there's a good chance they'll work fine for you too. That kit was model F4-3200C16D-16GVKB and the only different should be that one kit is 32GB and one is 16GB, plus the B at the end of the kit number indicating they are "Black" sticks, but again, you never know.

donkeydude125

Reputable
Aug 3, 2019
No guarantees. The Flare X sticks should for sure work because they are specifically made for Ryzen platforms. The Ripjaws, some kits work, some don't. And that is because generally speaking except for the Flare X and Trident Z Neos, which also are made for Ryzen platforms, most of the kits out there are made with timings that favor Intel platforms. So, that doesn't mean they won't work fine with on AMD platforms but some kits will work on some boards and some won't.

If you go with the Flare X or Trident Z Neos sticks, or another of the kits listed either on the motherboard QVL (Qualified vendor list, which can be found under the compatibility tab on the motherboard product page by CPU model sort) or listed as compatible on the G.Skill memory configurator, Corsair memory finder or Crucial memory advisor web pages, then you are a lot more likely to avoid issues. Even then, there can still sometimes be problems but it's much less likely.

Any of those kits would be good choices, Flare X or Trident Z Neos, if looking at G.Skill sticks. However, I just used almost the exact same Ripjaws kit you posted about three weeks ago in a Ryzen build with an ASRock B550 Pro4 and they worked fine, so there's a good chance they'll work fine for you too. That kit was model F4-3200C16D-16GVKB and the only different should be that one kit is 32GB and one is 16GB, plus the B at the end of the kit number indicating they are "Black" sticks, but again, you never know.

Oh, ok then. I guess I'll just go with ones you said, just to be safe.

TRENDING THREADS