Question Ram Issues and Upgrade

May 23, 2020
I’m in a dilemma upgrading/increasing my ram at the moment, I understand that my current setup does not support Quad channel (i7-8700K w/ Z390 board) and I’m currently running with 2X8GB (16GB) Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200MHz but I’m looking to pick up another set of same exact ram but they are of different kit, yes I know the risk of mixing different kit but I’m just wondering if I will see any substantial difference by increasing my ram to 4X8GB(32GB) while having both from different kit and running them in Dual channel at 3200MHz?

But here’s the main reason why I’m thinking about upgrading, I suspect there’s issue with my current ram kit, I clean my PC earlier this year in Feb and my PC wouldn’t boot up properly, the fan will spin, LED turn on BUT there’s no image displaying in my monitor. I reseated the ram sticks multiple times (Also took out my GPU, tested component part by part before determining this) before everything finally run smoothly BUT every once/twice a month, my PC will freeze up (With weird pixel bugged out or weird symbols, like screen distortion) and I have to do a force shut down and turning it back on afterwards will make it run fine.

However, just 2 days ago I left my PC on for a few hours and came back to my PC in reboot loop; it would get past BIOS but the circle kept spinning, a hard reset once again solved the problem but I can only suspect it’s my RAM giving all the issues which is why I’m thinking about getting a new set of same exact 2X8GB while I send the current set for RMA and when they are back, I’ll pop them in to see if they work together at 3200MHz, would love to hear some opinions since I seldom tinker with RAM and this is probably my first time facing issues with RAM

EDIT : I remember doing some test on the RAM with memtest86 but they turn out fine, tried running my GFX to it’s limit and nothing happened either, lastly I also checked my HDD and SSD but they also turn out to be fine. I do remember reseating the RAM a lot of times, first I tried running my PC with the ram individually, only manage to boot it up only with 1 ram stick at first and when I swap out to the other ram, it wouldn't boot up properly so yeah, I suspect 1 ram was faulty, however, reseating them multiple times finally booted the PC with my windows displaying with both ram stick.

Last edited:
You are thinking of memtest86.
It boots from a usb stick and does not use windows.
You can download the free edition here:
https://www.memtest86.com/download.htm

If you can run a full pass with NO errors, your ram should be ok.

If your need is for more ram like32gb, I suggest you buy a 2 x 16gb kit with specs like your current kit.
You will have a guaranteed 32gb running in dual channel mode.
Then, install your current 2 x 8gb kit.
If it plays nice, you will have 48gb running in dual channel mode.
If not then dispose of the old ram.

May 23, 2020
You are thinking of memtest86.
It boots from a usb stick and does not use windows.
You can download the free edition here:
https://www.memtest86.com/download.htm

If you can run a full pass with NO errors, your ram should be ok.

If your need is for more ram like32gb, I suggest you buy a 2 x 16gb kit with specs like your current kit.
You will have a guaranteed 32gb running in dual channel mode.
Then, install your current 2 x 8gb kit.
If it plays nice, you will have 48gb running in dual channel mode.
If not then dispose of the old ram.

Thanks for the reply! I actually updated my post after your reply

The reason why I suspect it's the RAM causing an issue, mainly because I only manage to boot it up with 1 out of the 2 sticks, when I swap out to the other ram, it wouldn't boot up properly so yeah, I suspect that 1 other ram was faulty. I have no idea why I did this but I reseated them again and finally manage to boot the PC with both stick on and it ran smoothly, was desperate I guess.

Yes, I did memtest86 and the results are fine, I checked my window log whenever the hard freeze happen as well as the restart loop and I can't determine what else could be wrong with my components so far and I'm worried if there's something wrong with the PC