RAM issues, possible corruption. Can it be saved?

dmakinde

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2010
Hi guys, I'll start my question with a quick overview of my system

Samsung F3 HDD 500GB
Samsung F3 HDD 1TB

OCZ 120GB SSD

ASUS p7p55d motherboard

windows 7 on a partition of the 500gb hard drive and windows developer preview on the SSD

OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1866MHz/PC3-15000 Gold i5 Memory Kit 1.65V CL10(10-10-10-27) x 2

For the past few years I have been using my pc with minimal errors but about three days ago I randomly got a blue screen. I managed to glimpse the error message before my PC restarted talking about something along the lines of memory management.

After restarting the pc it seemed to be ok then after attempting to copy and paste some files onto another hard drive I got another blue screen about memory management, and later times I got ones about attempting to write to read only memory and mis matched processes.

After googling the issue I found that someone fixed their problem by simply opening on their pc, taking out the ram, blowing the dust out and replacing it so I tried that and for the next two days it was fine, then I got another blue screen.

I had enough and downloaded memtest and after attempting to perform the test, the following error message came up:

"Memory error detected! Pair 818193 does not store values accurately.
MemTest has detected that your computer cannot accurately store data in
RAM.
You need to fix this"

So I took out two of the ram sticks and ran the test again on the remaining 4GB and so far it seems to be ok. The test is still running now but there have been no blue screens and no errors so far while the test is on 90%

It may also be worth noting that I upgraded the bios as an attempt to fix the issue, also to no avail.
Is there anything you guys can suggest? Thanks.

dmakinde

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2010
Yeah the RAM was the issue. I swapped all the sticks out and found out that it was a specific 2GB ram stick, so I'm running my machine on 6GB of ram for now which isn't the end of the world. Fortunately I seemed to have enough foresight to buy RAM that came with a lifetime warranty with OCZ so I'm currently in talks with them to get it replaced :)