[SOLVED] RAM issues with new build

Dec 12, 2021
Hi All,

I have been an observer here for a while and decided to finally build my own PC.

PC is running fine until I try to run it in XMP. Once I switch back to Windows, the PC will load and then that's when the issues occur. Doing simple tasks like browsing the internet causes the screen to flicker and then the PC will just reboot for no warning. In the space of 15 mins it happened 10 times.

As the only setting I changed was my RAM performance I turned off XMP and manually configured the RAM to run at optimal speed (3200 MHz) and the same issues occurred. I then dialed back the RAM to 2400MHz and issues instantly stopped. I then pushed it up to 2800MHz and the PC is running fine.

This has really stumped me and cant understand why my PC trips out when I push the RAM to optimal settings. I only built the PC this weekend so have updated BIOS etc.. Does anyone have any ideas?

Spec:
  • Ryzen 5600x
  • ASUS Rog Strix b550 F-Gaming
  • Gigabyte Aorus 3060 ti
  • Corsair Vengeance RGB RS 3200MHz
  • Corsair 850x PSU

Solution
anyone have any ideas?
have you verified that the memory kit is officially supported by the motherboard?
check the QVL(Qualified Vendor List) on the motherboard manufacturer's product support page.

if this specific model is not listed there's a good chance that it has been tested and reported as not functioning correctly with this board

with that 5600x you should probably be running faster than 3200MHz anyway so you may want to take this as an opportunity to return the RAM and get something more in line with the CPU's "appetite".
do some research into the optimal speed & timing you should use for this particular Ryzen.
anyone have any ideas?
have you verified that the memory kit is officially supported by the motherboard?
check the QVL(Qualified Vendor List) on the motherboard manufacturer's product support page.

if this specific model is not listed there's a good chance that it has been tested and reported as not functioning correctly with this board

with that 5600x you should probably be running faster than 3200MHz anyway so you may want to take this as an opportunity to return the RAM and get something more in line with the CPU's "appetite".
do some research into the optimal speed & timing you should use for this particular Ryzen.

Solution

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
Slots 2 and 4 for the RAM, confirm this in your motherboad manual. Ryzen 5000 benefits from RAM at 3600 Mhz. Even better if you can do 3800 Mhz, not a huge difference tho. For most, 3800 Mhz is the max, thanks to Fclock not being able to run faster than 1900 (x2 = 3800 Mhz). You can have higher Fclock than RAM-clock so you can test what your Fclock is capable of. If you get WHEA Error 19, Flock is not stable. That's another rabbithole.
Did your RAM come in the same kit? I hope you are not mixing 2 kits together, that is problematic. You would have to go in manually and adjust settings. Very timeconsuming. I'm talking probably months, if not a year, if you haven't done it before.
Generally speaking, if upping the voltage on DRAM to 1.4v and SOC to 1.1 doesn't make it stable, you would have to go in manually, adjusting timings, resistances, the works. You are running a RAM stability test, right? I can recommend Testmem5 with Anta77 config.