[SOLVED] RAM issues

rapsavage1

Commendable
Jul 2, 2020
I'm unable to run my RAM at it's rated speed of 3600mhz DDR4, Vengence LPX 2x8 16gb.

Ryzen 5 2600
GTX 1660
asrock b450 Steel legend

All my drivers are up to date
My RAM is only stable at 3200 and nothing else
I've tried setting the timings manually and it gives me a BSOD (ntoskrnl.exe)
I've tried XMP with an without
Sometimes when booting up it will say that windows is missing certain files and takes me to the recovery screen
Brand new PC not even 5 months
It's not overheating either. My whole system stays below 60C

Any ideas on why I'm unable to run my ram at it's rated speed?

I also ram a memtest and it showed an error saying that my computer is unable to store data in RAM

Solution
I'm unable to run my RAM at it's rated speed of 3600mhz DDR4, Vengence LPX 2x8 16gb.

Ryzen 5 2600
GTX 1660
asrock b450 Steel legend

Sometimes when booting up it will say that windows is missing certain files and takes me to the recovery screen

I also ram a memtest and it showed an error saying that my computer is unable to store data in RAM

The issue is that you are trying to run DDR4 3600...

Ryzen 5 2600
GTX 1660
asrock b450 Steel legend

The issue is that you are trying to run DDR4 3600 ram on a Ryzen 2000 series cpu - the memory controller on Ryzen cpu's is built into the chip itselt, and the memory controller on Ryzen 2000 usually maxes out around DDR4 3200.

If you upgraded to a newer Ryzen 3000 series cpu you would then probably be ok to get the ram stable at 3600, however 3200 is about as good as you are going to get with that cpu.

To give you a bit of context, I run a Ryzen 7 2700 on an older X370 motherboard, and I can't get the ram stable above 2933 on that cpu + motherboard (the 300 series motherboards are pretty bad for higher speed memory, regardless of what gen cpu is installed). The 400 series chipset boards will accept higher speeds but it does depend on what cpu you are using. Also keep in mind - if you have the kit stable at 3200, you aren't really missing out on any performance anyway.

Edit: ASRock provide official ram kit testing for that motherboard with Ryzen 2000 series cpu's (code named 'pinnacle ridge') here:
https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/B450 Steel Legend/#MemoryPR

If you look through the list you'll notice that none of the tested kits have higher than DDR4 3200 in the 'supported' column. If you look at the QVL list for Matisse (Ryzen 3000 desktop) there are DDR4 3600 kits tested and supported at that speed.

Reactions: rapsavage1
Solution