[SOLVED] RAM Issues?

David_676

Honorable
Apr 6, 2017
I recently had to RMA my M.2 980 pro, since i have reinstalled the new stick i have been having issues with the computer freezing to the point that the power button doesn't work to reset the pc after holding it down, the keyboard and mouse lose power, it use to leave the screen frozen, now it loses video as well. The motherboard debug shows "00" and the DRAM light is lit. After an hour of testing in Memtest86, it happened again, meaning it is for sure not OS related. I had run the test with all defaults except DOCP set to the relevant profile, I double checked the QVL list and my RAM should be supported. I am now running a test with default timings. If the RAM was bad wouldn't that show in the test as an error instead is locking up the system? I'm suspecting the MB, but maybe it's the RAM? Or PSU? I don't have any spare parts to test with, so if this test locks up, I will try one stick at a time. If both still have the problem, it's less likely the RAM? I'm not exactly inexperienced with building computers but this one has me confused and worried. Advice is more than welcome.

System info:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5950X
RAM: G.skill Trident Z Royal 3600 cl14 (2 x 16GB)
MB: ASUS ROG X570 Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)
GPU: MSI GTX 1080
PSU: be quiet! Straight Power 11 Platinum 1000W, BN644
Storage: Multiple HDDs, 2 SATA SSDs, and the Samsung 980 Pro 2TB Nvme M.2 Gen4

Lutfij

Titan
What BIOS version are you on for your motherboard at this moment of time? Which drive(from within the multiple drives) holds the OS?

since i have reinstalled the new stick i have been having issues with the computer freezing
You got an RMA for an SSD, what new stick are we talking about here?

If these are your new sticks of ram, what were you working with prior?

David_676

Honorable
Apr 6, 2017
Sorry for the confusion, the RAM has remained the same, by new stick I meant the new m.2 980 pro which is the OS drive. And the BIOS was just updated 2 days ago or so to the newest version (Version 4201, AGESA ComboV2PI 1207), the problem remained after the bios update.

David_676

Honorable
Apr 6, 2017
What BIOS version are you on for your motherboard at this moment of time? Which drive(from within the multiple drives) holds the OS?

since i have reinstalled the new stick i have been having issues with the computer freezing
You got an RMA for an SSD, what new stick are we talking about here?

If these are your new sticks of ram, what were you working with prior?

I forgot to reply to your comment directly before if that matters, but it made it through 3.5 passes on Memtest86 with no errors on the default ram settings instead of the DOCP profile. Did i just lose the silicon lottery big time and get components that should work together at the higher speeds but don't? Or maybe power issues? I hope i didn't buy the 3600 RAM for nothing (other than looks).

David_676

Honorable
Apr 6, 2017
Did you clear the CMOS after your BIOS update was successful?
I rest to optimized defaults, do you think clearing would make a difference? It was a problem before and after update, so maybe there was a fix that a full reload of bios would help, but it seems like a soft default reset should have been enough. It's worth a try tho.

David_676

Honorable
Apr 6, 2017
When it comes to troubleshooting, you try anything and everything.

It may be a little early to celebrate but I think clearing the CMOS may have done the trick, it made it through a few passes of Memtest86 without a problem and it hasn't had any issues yet. I am gong to run a few benchmarks and a stress test just to make sure.

TRENDING THREADS