[SOLVED] RAM Keep switching to 2133 MHZ from XMP 3600

Jayant Arora

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2014
I build a new PC and bought this ram:
http://www.gskill.com/product/165/1...VDDR4-3600MHz-CL18-22-22-42-1.35V16GB-(2x8GB)

Paired it with Gigabyte Aourus Elite Wifi, mobo, I turned on XMP Profile 3600MHZ working as shown in BIOS,
On ryzen master shows 1800MHZ on memory and 1800 on infinity fabric[IF].

Problem is it keeps going back to 2133MHZ mode when PC is shut down and started again.
Ryzen master shows memory 1050 and IF on 1200.

I noticed on restarting on Windows[without going into bios in between] it doesn't go back to 3600MHZ, neither infinity fabric changes to 1800.

When i restart and visit BIOS in between the boot[not changing any settings], it shows XMP is on and on continuing boot to windows, 3600MHZ turn back and so infinity fabric.
Is this ram not good or compatible or i'm missing some setting in bios ?

Please Help..

Last edited:
Solution
That RAM kit is Not listed as being Compatible with your MB by G.Skill or Gigabyte.
So If it is new I'd return it and get a kit that G.Skill lists as compatible with your MB.
Or try setting the speed to 3333, 3400 or 3466 and see if it keeps the XMP profile at any of those speeds.
I set DRAM frequency manually to 1800MHZ and it boots fine with 3600mhz and XMP enabled even after shut downs.
Tested thrice now working fine.
So should i keep it ? or Return it?
Turn off any memory enhancment modes if any. Turn off fast boot (not general BIOS POST, but in advanced DRAM settings). Basically, disable OC and only leave XMP ON for testing purposes.

Update BIOS? Remember to load default settings before update.

Your memory is not on the supported list, so there might be issues.

Jayant Arora

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2014
Turn off any memory enhancment modes if any. Turn off fast boot (not general BIOS POST, but in advanced DRAM settings). Basically, disable OC and only leave XMP ON for testing purposes.

Where i can see this "Supported memory list".
Also note i'm not able to find the exact case when it's happening? Today it's been 5 - 7 hours and nothing is happening, it still is running at 1800 : 1800

Jayant Arora

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2014
Turn off any memory enhancement modes if any. Turn off fast boot (not general BIOS POST, but in advanced DRAM settings). Basically, disable OC and only leave XMP ON for testing purposes.

I do have the latest BIOS installed.
vF3b for my mobo x570 Aourus Elite wifi.
I bought this ram because it has same specs as :
https://www.newegg.com/global/in-en/g-skill-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232728

which is a ryzen certified RAM[which is marketing BS i know]
While what i bought is with same CAS and frequency but without RGB and is 40% cheaper, if the specs are identical then why it's not supported.
I saved money to go for x570 instead of b450

Jayant Arora

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2014
Ok I did let me test it for a while.
Ok now i'am able to get perfect scenario it's simple, i set xmp profile 1 from bios and continue boot it stays at xmp 3600, but when i shut down system and start again [i noticed it takes some time to post ]and boot into windows without going into bios it switches back to 2133mhz, while if i go in bios just a touch down no changes what so ever it boots windows with 3600mhz.

Jayant Arora

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2014
I build a new PC and bought this ram:
http://www.gskill.com/product/165/1...VDDR4-3600MHz-CL18-22-22-42-1.35V16GB-(2x8GB)

Paired it with Gigabyte Aourus Elite Wifi, mobo, I turned on XMP Profile 3600MHZ working as shown in BIOS,
On ryzen master shows 1800MHZ on memory and 1800 on infinity fabric[IF].

Problem is it keeps going back to 2133MHZ mode when PC is shut down and started again.
Ryzen master shows memory 1050 and IF on 1200.

I noticed on restarting on Windows[without going into bios in between] it doesn't go back to 3600MHZ, neither infinity fabric changes to 1800.

When i restart and visit BIOS in between the boot[not changing any settings], it shows XMP is on and on continuing boot to windows, 3600MHZ turn back and so infinity fabric.
Is this ram not good or compatible or i'm missing some setting in bios ?

Please Help..
UPDATE: Ok now i'am able to get perfect scenario it's simple, i set xmp profile 1 from bios and continue boot it stays at xmp 3600, but when i shut down system and start again [i noticed it takes some time to post ]and boot into windows without going into bios it switches back to 2133mhz, while if i go in bios just a touch down no changes what so ever it boots windows with 3600mhz.

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
That RAM kit is Not listed as being Compatible with your MB by G.Skill or Gigabyte.
So If it is new I'd return it and get a kit that G.Skill lists as compatible with your MB.
Or try setting the speed to 3333, 3400 or 3466 and see if it keeps the XMP profile at any of those speeds.

Jayant Arora

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2014
I set DRAM frequency manually to 1800MHZ and it boots fine with 3600mhz and XMP enabled even after shut downs.
Tested thrice now working fine.
So should i keep it ? or Return it?

Solution

Jayant Arora

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2014
I'd leave it.
It sounds like it was just having an issue setting the speed properly when it is set to Auto.

Thanks !!
It would've been too much hassle to return this kit because I purchased it from an offline market at much cheaper cost than online and seller probably wouldn't give a shit whether it's compatible or not. I live in India you won't believe everything here cost 30% more.

Reactions: DMAN999

Jayant Arora

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2014
I would leave Fast Startup OFF in Windows because it seems to cause all sorts of weird, random issues when left on.
Anyways i tested it with fast boot on now working fine as well. I will keep in mind regarding fast boot though.

One more thing that bugs me from the beginning that task manager didn't show ram speeds, while following shows it properly: CPU Z, RYZEN MASTER, cmd->wmic memorychip get speed,
What seems to be the issue ? I do have a fresh install of windows[1903].

Jayant Arora

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2014
If you are using a copy of Windows from an older build (with different MB, RAM, etc.) I would recommend a clean Install just to be sure nothing is left over from your old hardware than will cause issues with the new hardware.
Yea i did the same, complete clean install as i already mentioned.
Tell me does it make any difference not showing ram speeds, stability / performance wise ? i can live with cpu z. and Task manager can have its issues.