Question RAM keeps dying. Not sure what is causing it.

loganman888

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2014
In the past month I have had 2 separate ram kits (exact same model/brand) fail in my PC. The first kit I had running at its XMP profile for over a year without failing. After the first kit failed earlier this month, I replaced it with the same exact kit, with the xmp profile active for about 2 1/2 weeks. Today I woke up and my PC didn't turn on. I unplugged the power, held the power button for 30 seconds and plugged it back in. It booted up with no problem after attempting that. I was playing games for about an hour before it just shut off randomly (exactly the same issue when my old RAM kit failed earlier this month). With the ram in, it will either not boot/power cycle. If I unplug the power cable and hold the power button for 30 seconds and plug the power back in, it attempts to power on, but will instantly turn off. The PC will not turn on at all unless I attempt that.

I can replace the ram later today, but I'm concered that the next kit will just fail again. I'm not sure if its the mobo/psu killing it, or if this RAM kit is just not very good at 3200mhz. Everything else in the PC appears fine temps wise. My CPU stays under 75c max load, my GPU floats around 50c. It's just odd that this most recent kit of RAM only lasted 2-3 weeks; when my first kit lasted well over a year.

Troubleshooting that I have attempted

Moving/removing one stick of ram (Getting mixed results, almost always ends in a power cycle or instant shut off after booting)

Removing the power cable, holding the power button for 30 seconds, then plugging it back in( Powers on but almost always shuts off instantly)

Please ask me any questions that can help you solve this. Thanks!

specs
msi z370 gaming plus mobo
gtx 1080
EVGA 750w 80+ Gold PSU
Ram (both kits) PNY - Anarchy-X 16GB (2PK 8GB) 3.2GHz DDR4

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Have you opened the case and checked that all cables, cards, jumpers, and the RAM modules are indeed fully and firmly seated?

No crimped, kinked, crushed, cables...

How old is that 750 watt PSU? Was it new, used, taken from another computer?

In the past month I have had 2 separate ram kits (exact same model/brand) fail in my PC. The first kit I had running at its XMP profile for over a year without failing. After the first kit failed earlier this month, I replaced it with the same exact kit, with the xmp profile active for about 2 1/2 weeks. Today I woke up and my PC didn't turn on. I unplugged the power, held the power button for 30 seconds and plugged it back in. It booted up with no problem after attempting that. I was playing games for about an hour before it just shut off randomly (exactly the same issue when my old RAM kit failed earlier this month). With the ram in, it will either not boot/power cycle. If I unplug the power cable and hold the power button for 30 seconds and plug the power back in, it attempts to power on, but will instantly turn off. The PC will not turn on at all unless I attempt that.

I can replace the ram later today, but I'm concered that the next kit will just fail again. I'm not sure if its the mobo/psu killing it, or if this RAM kit is just not very good at 3200mhz. Everything else in the PC appears fine temps wise. My CPU stays under 75c max load, my GPU floats around 50c. It's just odd that this most recent kit of RAM only lasted 2-3 weeks; when my first kit lasted well over a year.

Troubleshooting that I have attempted

Moving/removing one stick of ram (Getting mixed results, almost always ends in a power cycle or instant shut off after booting)

Removing the power cable, holding the power button for 30 seconds, then plugging it back in( Powers on but almost always shuts off instantly)

Please ask me any questions that can help you solve this. Thanks!

specs
msi z370 gaming plus mobo
gtx 1080
EVGA 750w 80+ Gold PSU
Ram (both kits) PNY - Anarchy-X 16GB (2PK 8GB) 3.2GHz DDR4
Pull the CPU out of the socket, check thoroughly for bent pins in the socket, then place the CPU back in gently if none are found and repaste the CPU before putting the heatsink back on and testing. If you find bent pins, use a needle or a fine tipped plastic or wood item to slowly push it back in place.

DudeOwzmo

Reputable
Mar 16, 2017
I know I'm a year and a bit out, but I've had the exact same problem, I went with Corsair Vengeance V4.20 3200mhz. I've had the issue with different motherboards. I'm lucky enough to have a spare set of 2133MHz memory, I tried that in the motherboard and took out my 4x8GB sticks and it works. I'm going to test the RAM on my mates PC some time soon to see if it will boot. I will give an update whether or not anything happens.

Also, if you have any updates Logan, it would be much appreciated if you share them :)

UPDATE: Tested the RAM sticks in a different system, memtested 2 sticks at a time, them all of them. At stock 3000MHz, and at 3200MHz with XMP enabled. Memtest came back with no issues whatsoever. So that must just leave the motherboard, although, if it is the motherboard - I'm unsure of why my 2133MHz kit works but my Corsair ones don't. Architectual Compatability? All 4 of my Vengeance sticks are V4.20, and the kit I have is pretty common. Few variables at play still, just have to narrow it down to what actually causes the issues.

Last edited: