[SOLVED] Ram memory DDR4 2133hz 16gb (two sticks, each 8gb) shows only 8gb in total

Jun 2, 2022
Hey guys.

I have an issue with my ram memory. I have installed two sticks DDR4 2133hz each is 8gb but in BIOS and also windows it shows only 8gb in total instead of 16gb.

I tried to use only one stick (8gb) and it showed only 4gb. I changed slots etc nothing worked. PC info https://valid.x86.fr/qw50xn

I am not sure if the issue is with RAM memory or Motherboard.

PC setup info:

Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20GHz
Motherboard: Gigabyte H170-Gaming 3
Ram memory: Corsair 2x by 8gb 2133Hz
GPU: Radeon RX 590 Series (Polaris 30 XT)
HDD: M.2 Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB & M.2 Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 500GB

I would highly appreciate your help on this.

Best,
Ardian.

Last edited:
Solution
They are NOT 8GB each. Corsair, who MADE the memory, says it is an 8GB KIT, not 8GB for each stick, based on the PART NUMBER reported by CPU-Z. It is NOT wrong, you just don't have as much memory as you think you do. It is working and showing exactly like it is supposed to be. IF you bought this kit used from somebody, you got screwed, because they lied to you. If you bought it new, then you screwed yourself because you didn't buy what you thought you were buying.

The only problem here is you think you have something you don't, not that the memory isn't working the way it's supposed to be.

It says, SPECIFICALLY, 8GB (2 x4GB).

That means the WHOLE KIT, TOGETHER, is 8GB but each stick is 4GB. You do NOT have a 16GB kit. You have...

bignastyid

Titan
Hey guys.

I have an issue with my ram memory. I have installed two sticks DDR4 2133hz each is 8gb but in BIOS and also windows it shows only 8gb in total instead of 16gb.

I tried to use only one stick (8gb) and it showed only 4gb. I changed slots etc nothing worked. PC info https://valid.x86.fr/qw50xn

I am not sure if the issue is with RAM memory or Motherboard.

PC setup info:

Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20GHz
Motherboard: Gigabyte H170-Gaming 3
Ram memory: Corsair 2x by 8gb 2133Hz
GPU: Radeon RX 590 Series (Polaris 30 XT)
HDD: M.2 Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB & M.2 Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 500GB

I would highly appreciate your help on this.

Best,
Ardian.
According to the part number cpu-z is showing for the ram it is an 8GB kIt(2x4GB dimms)not a 16GB kit(2x8GB dimms)
CMK8GX4M2A2133C13
https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Memory/VENGEANCE-LPX/p/CMK8GX4M2A2133C13

You do NOT have two 8GB sticks. You have two 4GB sticks, based on the reported part number from your CPU-Z validation and the product information on the Corsair website. Whoever sold it to you saying it was 16GB was not being honest.

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Memory/VENGEANCE-LPX/p/CMK8GX4M2A2133C13

gE9quaQ.png

Jun 2, 2022
You do NOT have two 8GB sticks. You have two 4GB sticks, based on the reported part number from your CPU-Z validation and the product information on the Corsair website. Whoever sold it to you saying it was 16GB was not being honest.

gE9quaQ.png

Thanks for your reply. Yes indeed I do have 16gb, each are supposed to be 8gb but as you can see above it shows only 4gb each. This is the issue I am having.

here is a photo
20220603-105819.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
They are NOT 8GB each. Corsair, who MADE the memory, says it is an 8GB KIT, not 8GB for each stick, based on the PART NUMBER reported by CPU-Z. It is NOT wrong, you just don't have as much memory as you think you do. It is working and showing exactly like it is supposed to be. IF you bought this kit used from somebody, you got screwed, because they lied to you. If you bought it new, then you screwed yourself because you didn't buy what you thought you were buying.

The only problem here is you think you have something you don't, not that the memory isn't working the way it's supposed to be.

That means the WHOLE KIT, TOGETHER, is 8GB but each stick is 4GB. You do NOT have a 16GB kit. You have an 8GB kit. Look at your own picture you linked to. Says right ON the memory 2 x4GB, which means 8GB TOTAL.

kGq8wr8.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: ardian2021
Solution
Jun 2, 2022

That means the WHOLE KIT, TOGETHER, is 8GB but each stick is 4GB. You do NOT have a 16GB kit. You have an 8GB kit. Look at your own picture you linked to. Says right ON the memory 2 x4GB, which means 8GB TOTAL.

kGq8wr8.jpg

Thanks so much for this explanation. I mean yes the description is kind a bit confusing.

Can I upgrade using my ram memory with extra 16gb (2x8b) on top of the existing ones. Currently, motherboard has another two slots available and it supports up to 64gb.

https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Veng...54220502&sprefix=2133+gb+,aps,515&sr=8-3&th=1

So I will configure like this:
1 - 8gb
2 - 4gb
3 - 8gb
4 - 4gb

Will this ok?

Thanks mate.

Jun 2, 2022
Thanks so much for this explanation. I mean yes the description is kind a bit confusing.

Can I upgrade using my ram memory with extra 16gb (2x8b) on top of the existing ones. Currently, motherboard has another two slots available and it supports up to 64gb.

https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Vengeance-2133MHz-Desktop-Memory/dp/B0123ZCD36/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=16+gb+ddr4+2133&qid=1654220502&sprefix=2133+gb+,aps,515&sr=8-3&th=1

So I will configure like this:
1 - 8gb
2 - 4gb
3 - 8gb
4 - 4gb

Will this ok?

Thanks mate.

OR maybe to this one 32gb (2x16gb)

https://www.amazon.com/Timetec-2133...54220502&sprefix=2133+gb+,aps,515&sr=8-6&th=1

If you put another kit in there at all, and there are no guarantees when you start mixing memory kits, even when they are the EXACT same part number, you want it to BE the exact same part number as what you have already if you are going to pay for it.

Better, if you just bought these new, would be to return them and buy ONE kit that contains the amount of RAM you actually want to run, or need. If you bought them used from somebody, then I'd look to find another kit that is exactly the same part number.

Please read the second section at the following link, titled "The odd man out"

Or, if you can sell these or use them in another system, and just buy another kit that is the amount you need.

Truthfully, that kit is VERY slow for the CPU you have and you might be a lot better off trying to find somebody who wants to buy both that board and memory from you, and get a Z170 or Z270 motherboard and a faster memory kit. Just a thought, but obviously, things cost money and money isn't always easy to come by. Well, it's almost never easy to come by honestly.

Jun 2, 2022
If you put another kit in there at all, and there are no guarantees when you start mixing memory kits, even when they are the EXACT same part number, you want it to BE the exact same part number as what you have already if you are going to pay for it.

Better, if you just bought these new, would be to return them and buy ONE kit that contains the amount of RAM you actually want to run, or need. If you bought them used from somebody, then I'd look to find another kit that is exactly the same part number.

Please read the second section at the following link, titled "The odd man out"

Or, if you can sell these or use them in another system, and just buy another kit that is the amount you need.

Truthfully, that kit is VERY slow for the CPU you have and you might be a lot better off trying to find somebody who wants to buy both that board and memory from you, and get a Z170 or Z270 motherboard and a faster memory kit. Just a thought, but obviously, things cost money and money isn't always easy to come by. Well, it's almost never easy to come by honestly.

Awesome. thanks so much for exmplanation,

Yeah I think Z270 motherboard with a faster memory kit would be awesome, I woul buy this motherboard but not sure if it support the existing CPU I have (Intel® Core™ i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20GHz)

I can see that in specs of Z270 motherboard it says:
· Supports 11th and 10th Gen Intel® Core™ Series Processors (does this mean up to this generation and below or only these two generations)

bignastyid

Titan
Awesome. thanks so much for exmplanation,

Yeah I think Z270 motherboard with a faster memory kit would be awesome, I woul buy this motherboard but not sure if it support the existing CPU I have (Intel® Core™ i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20GHz)

I can see that in specs of Z270 motherboard it says:
· Supports 11th and 10th Gen Intel® Core™ Series Processors (does this mean up to this generation and below or only these two generations)
The Z270 does not support 10th or 11th gen CPUs, you'd need a board with 400 or 500 series chipset for 10th and 11th gen and they will not support your 7700k. The Z270 supports the same cpus as your H170 board(6th and 7th gen).