ram mhz

Suzy

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2003
hi,
i went and dl cpuz as stated in the faq. in the comp i built a few years ago, i thought i put in really good ram. after running cpuz, i think it says that the comp is running that ram at a lower mhz.

here is what i bought and installed:
corsair xms 512 32mx8 pc-3500c2 2 sticks (1gig total) :)

cpuz says:
pc3200 (200mhz)
then in slots 1 and 2: 166mhz ; 200mhz

also, i don't know if i should be concerned, but under memory, the performance mode says disabled?

i need to understand whats going on with this comp. kids are having some problems with it. i need to correct it.
thanks
suzy

Mondoman

Splendid
It's unlikely that any of this is causing problems. Don't worry about the "performance mode" for now.

When using CPUZ, it's important to distinguish between the "Memory" tab, which shows the *current settings* for the memory, and the "SPD" tab, which shows a list of possible manufacturer-established conservative settings saved in the small, non-volatile SPD memory of each memory module. The latter are what the computer's "auto" memory speed/timing mechanism uses to choose a speed and timing.

However, in recent years, many manufacturers have started advertising (and selling) their premium modules at speeds that can only be achieved by using non-standard conditions (usually, higher-than-standard memory voltage). These conditions are *not* in the SPD, so when buyers install the modules, the "auto" settings end up being slower than the advertised speed.
Here's a post that should help clarify this "manufacturer-sanctioned overclocking":
http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=1249881#1249881

It sounds like your CPUZ "Memory" tab lists a freq of 200MHz, which is DDR-400 speed. In order to reach the DDR-475 spec speed of your modules, you will likely have to boost the RAM voltage in the BIOS, save it, then go into the BIOS again and manually set the speed to DDR-475. At the same time, you can set the CL value to 2.
You will have to find out the specific voltage needed from the RAM manufacturer, Corsair, from their website or tech support (you will likely need to tell them the exact part number of the RAM).
One caveat: even though the RAM may be able to run at the higher speed, your motherboard may not be able to work properly at that speed, as the maximum "standard" speed is DDR-400. Even if you are able to get the RAM to run at DDR-475, you will likely not see a big difference in running your apps. For example, gaming performance is almost wholly dependent on the performance of the video card.

You say there are some problems with the computer -- what are they? Also, it will be a big help to us if you would list the *model number* of every component in your system, especially the CPU, motherboard, video card, and power supply.

PS - Saw your specs in your other thread; the only thing to keep in mind is that a new, reasonably-powerful video card may very well require a new power supply with substantial +12V output.

Suzy

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2003
hi,
found another program that i dl and ran it, and it told me that comp was running at the 400 mhz for ram.

yes, i posted in the other about a graphics card, but that one is still being discussed, :). and yep i know about the power supply unit not being able to handle all i put in it, but thats all another thread. :)

abit is7
chieftec server chasis ax-01bld
fortron fsp350-60bn 350w
intel p4 2.8cghz 512k socket 478ht 800mhz fsb
corsair xms 512mb 32mx8 pc-3500cs 2 sticks
(have another 1gig on order)
samsung floppy drive
liteon cd r/w LTR-52246S
samsun dvd r/w w lightscribe model # SH-S162L
2 hard drives (120 and 60)
win xp
3 fans
4.1 logitech Z-540 series speakers (?)
creative labs sound blaster live 5.1

main problem is running games, and that is fixable with a graphics card update.

thanks
suzy