[SOLVED] RAM Mixing Question

Nov 29, 2019
Hello,

I am wanting to purchase another set of 2x8 GB sticks of ram, but I am confused on whether or not I can with these two brands:

Team T-Force Vulcan 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000) Memory Model TLRED416G3000HC16CDC01 (I have this one)
and
CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8 GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000) Memory Model CMK16GX4M2B3000C15R

For the rest of my build those specifications (the ones that matter I think) are:

AMD Ryzen 5 2600
ASUS B450 AMD Ryzen 2 Micro ATX

The two different ram sets seem identical, but was wondering if they would hinder each other or if the rest of my build would hinder them.

Solution
You don't want to try and run 4x sticks on a Ryzen unless absolutely necessary. For that cpu, the ram will be restricted to 2667MHz or 2933MHz or as low as 2133MHz depending on whether the ram is single or dual rank chips setup and which ram is in which slot, not to be confused with single or dual channel which is entirely different.

For Ryzens and in general, mixing ram is never a good idea, the only recommended course of action is buy 1 kit, with 2x sticks that are factory tested, in the size you want, and sell the old.
Nov 29, 2019
Memory manufacturers guarantee memory in the form sold. The combinations you list would not be guaranteed to be compatible together. You are free to do your own compatibility testing with no guarantees.

So if it was from the same manufacturer, I am able to combine both even if they aren't the same Model?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You don't want to try and run 4x sticks on a Ryzen unless absolutely necessary. For that cpu, the ram will be restricted to 2667MHz or 2933MHz or as low as 2133MHz depending on whether the ram is single or dual rank chips setup and which ram is in which slot, not to be confused with single or dual channel which is entirely different.

For Ryzens and in general, mixing ram is never a good idea, the only recommended course of action is buy 1 kit, with 2x sticks that are factory tested, in the size you want, and sell the old.

Last edited:
Solution
Nov 29, 2019

Thank you!