Question RAM, Motherboard, CPU compatability

Jan 4, 2022
Hi everyone,
My first post and hopefully not my last:

I got an HP from Walmart, this model: HP Desktop M01-F1063wb (not a gaming pc)

CPU (i3-10100) and motherboard (BakerMS) say supported ram is 32gb 2666. I bought Crucial Ballistix 32gb 3200mhz (I got a good deal). The ram I bought is 1.35v instead of 1.2v and 3200mhz instead of 2666. How much of a problem is this compatibility with the ram speed and voltage? Can I go into the BIOS and slow down the ram to 2666? What is an XMP (sp?) profile? Does the ram voltage matter?

In addition to the 32gb ram, I'm also adding an 500gb evo plus NMVE in addition to the HDD. Is the 180w power supply adequate for all of this? Also, I heard the failure rate of HPs is really high, thoughts? I've only had Dell desktops before and never had a motherboard go bad, only power supplies, and once a hard drive.

Also, I never ever turn off my latest PC (still a Dell), just put it into sleep mode. Is this a problem?

PLS HALP!

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

The memory you have will not run at DDR4-3200MHz, instead the BIOS will operate it at the max frequency it can support, which should be DDR4-2666MHz. I'd advise on making sure your prebuilt's BIOS is up to date on the BIOS front, then to see if your OS is pending any updates. Then disconnect from the wall and display and replace the factory ram with the ram kit you sourced off of Crucial.

Jan 4, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

The memory you have will not run at DDR4-3200MHz, instead the BIOS will operate it at the max frequency it can support, which should be DDR4-2666MHz. I'd advise on making sure your prebuilt's BIOS is up to date on the BIOS front, then to see if your OS is pending any updates. Then disconnect from the wall and display and replace the factory ram with the ram kit you sourced off of Crucial.
Thank you for your input. So the ram voltage won't matter? Or it will be auto-adjusted by the BIOS?