Ram Mystery - 4GB DDR2 Works on every OS except Win 7!!!!???

reessi

Prominent
Feb 17, 2017
I have a 4GB Stick of DDR2 in motherboard Gigabyte M4N78 SE, its been running XP for around 3 years when I bought the RAM. Its cheap off ebay from hong kong labeled for AMD systems only, no label on it but cpu-z states its kingston 400mhz but maybe a lie. It has never BSOD'd before. It passes memtest for as many passes as I leave it!!

Now strangly it will not BSOD off a 2GB stick I put in so you would think its the ram but like I said XP and memtest and activeboot disk and hirens cd etc etc and linux live disks all work!

I have tried both slots and cleaning with IPA.

I decided to put windows 7 on as I repair phones and laptops and increasingly need software that only runs on 7.

The image I put on is a syspreped one that I have installed on maybe 100 laptops and computers with no such problem.

As soon as I boot in with in minutes I get BSODs, all different but one example is 0x00000050.

I can pull the others if you want with blue screen viewer. I am on the computer now running XP with no problem as I installed 7 on a different drive.

So any ideas??

I could try installing 7 tomorrow from a dvd (a different release to the one I sysprepped), but theres no logic to this.

I could also install to a different hard disk.

Also the hard disk I used passes full surface sector scan.

Thought I'd see what people think before installing again. I also updated all the drivers with driver pack solution (DRP).

Cheers.

Solution
I solved this by re-installing with a different version of windows 7 downloaded. I have no idea why my sysprep image would not work with the stick of ram as having used this image on more than 50 machines of different hardware.

Cheers.
could be any number of issues causing BSODs. Could just be That specific RAM isn't compatible with Win 7. You can also try the steps below

Click on Start and Run. Type MSCONFIG. Choose the start up tab and disable all non Microsoft startup items.
Go to the Services tab. Disable all non Microsoft services. Test to see the problem goes away. Only re-enable in groups to isolate the problem service or start up application.
Verify that any new hardware or software is properly installed. Disconnect the new hardware or replace it to see if this resolves the issue.
Run Windows updates and update your Windows installation once it is installed.
View the Hardware Compatibility Matrix from the Microsoft web site ( https://sysdev.microsoft.com/en-us/hardware/lpl/) to verify that all your hardware and drivers are compatible with the operating system.
Run any system diagnostics that are supplied by your computer manufacturer, especially a RAM check. If this is a new installation of the hardware or software, contact the manufacturer for any requires updates for drivers or firmware.

reessi

Prominent
Feb 17, 2017
Thanks for the reply but I feel like you didn't read my post at all. It works perfectly with the 2gb stick so how could there be a driver issue? I will try installing another release of win 7 not my sysprepped one and see if it makes any difference. There will only be microsoft services then. You asked me to remove new hardware, there is no new hardware and like I said it works with the 2gb stick, this is just a generic reply. No offence intended. You told me to run a ram check, I wrote multiple times in the post that I ran memtest all day long with no errors! I also wrote that I updated all drivers to the latest ones.

Cheers.

the 2gb stick and the 4gb stick are not the same and not made by the same manufacturer I assume... anyways, these were just suggestions. if it runs fine with the 2gb and not with the 4gb, I would assume the 4gb stick is the one with the issue. As a tech for almost 20 years, and the owner of a computer store, the first thing I would do is Run memtest with the stick in a different laptop, or buy a labeled, not from hong kong Ram stick. as it were, these were just suggestions, if you felt they were generic, or of no use to you, then by all means, go a different route.

reessi

Prominent
Feb 17, 2017
Well thanks for the suggestions and I'll report back, I just thought you hadnt read my post. I will try the stick in another desktop. Still confused though why it works with xp for 3 years. Cheers.

reessi

Prominent
Feb 17, 2017
I solved this by re-installing with a different version of windows 7 downloaded. I have no idea why my sysprep image would not work with the stick of ram as having used this image on more than 50 machines of different hardware.

Cheers.

Solution