Question RAM never goes above 35%?

ImYlem

Honorable
Sep 4, 2014
Hello,

I recently noticed some choppiness in some games I have been playing. Decided to run memtest86 for a few passes and it came back with 1 error on test 7. I have been checking my RAM usage while gaming and noticed that it never exceeds about 35% no matter what. I also notice spikes in the "hard faults" chart in "Resource Monitor". What could this mean, faulty RAM?

I believe I am running: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory on an XMP profile to achieve the 3200 MHz. Should I do more tests with memtest86, perhaps 1 stick at a time to see which stick may have problems? How do I proceed from here?

Other specs:

CPU: ryzen 5 2600
GPU: 1070 ti

Thank you,

Riley

there is no certainty that every R5-2600 and/or every mainboard will be flawless at 3200 MHz RAM clocks; try getting stabilty at 2666 or 2933 MHz first...

(Certainly, failing Memtest86 is not off to a good start....but, try it at lower clock speeds first before blaming RAM stick, as the CPU and MB are much more likley to have issues than the RAM stick, frankly)

ImYlem

Honorable
Sep 4, 2014
RAM usage will only be what WIndows needs (5-6 GB for desktop and Chrome), it does not just use all you have merely because you have it...

You want to see more RAM usage, open 30-40 Chrome tabs... or run an additional single WIn10 VM instance...
I am not sure if you missed that I said it was during "gaming" but I did what you suggested and ran 30 chromes + my 2 most demanding games and I still only ever reached 5.2/16GB RAM usage which is all it ever goes to. I cannot get it to go any higher and start getting hundreds of hard faults/second. If I understand this correctly it means that windows is accessing the hard drive because RAM has run out.

EDIT: After running even more programs I was able to get RAM usage to 6GB which was about 38%. I also disabled my XMP profile so RAM is clocked at 2133MHz. If this is truly all the RAM that is needed then sorry for wasting your time but is there anything I can do to check the RAM? Memtest on individual modules? How many passes on memtest is enough?

Thanks,

Riley

Last edited: