RAM: Newegg or Amazon

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
Hello, for some components especially RAM, I can choose between buying from Amazon (sold by 3rd party companies such as Tunny LLC and DealHere but fulfilled by Amazon) or sold and ship by Newegg. Which one is better?

We know newegg sometimes charge restocking fees if the components do not work out in the DIY computer (not their fault nor the manufacturer fault). I have also been advised that to avoid buying counterfeit products, it is better to choose: sold and ship from newegg or sold and ship from amazon. In this case, what suggestion do you have?

USAFRet

Titan

"Sold by 3rd party" is the deal killer for me.
Sold and Fulfilled by Amazon or Newegg is fine.
3rd party is just some schmoe, no better than fleabay.

Just from personal experience, Amazon has better and faster return/exchange policies. I've been building for years from both companies and found that when I have a faulty part, the Amazon experience has always been better. In the event of a part not getting to you they're also considerately faster and friendlier experience on getting the missing part to you. Newegg makes you go through the shipping company, and in some cases their internal screenings can take weeks. Not the fault of Newegg, but it has been problematic in the past when a part would get lost in shipping. In case of 3rd party sellers, I've had Amazon back up the return/exchange/warranty of 3rd party sellers (when fulfilled through Amazon) when the seller themselves were unresponsive or refusing to take responsibility.

However often Newegg will have better prices for RAM and Motherboards, so you need to weigh which is more important, the overall cost of the part or in the event of something going on who's customer service you want to deal with. If it's a matter of a few dollars, I'd go amazon. But if it's a $20 part different, it'd be hard not to go with the cheaper offer.

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
In the case of RAM sold my 3rd party sellers but fulfilled through Amazon, how do I know if they are genuine or counterfeit when I receive them?

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
Anybody has experience with MemoryC, TunnyLLC, J-Electronics and Hot Deals 4 Less? Amazon only sells the RAM I want through these companies. If I go for Amazon, I am stuck with them.