Question RAM no longer runs at full speed

ccheney

Prominent
Mar 6, 2018
I recently built a Ryzen 9 3900x based system with 64gb of 3200MHz Corsair memory (sku CMK64GX4M2E3200C16). Initially it worked just fine, flashed the latest bios and changed the memory frequency to 3200 without any issues. About a month later during a blender run the machine crashes and won't post, and despite some tweaking I cannot get it to run at any speeds greater than 2400Mhz without boot looping. The motherboard is the Asus Crosshair VIII Hero. Nothing is overclocked, and I flashed the newest bios and have been running the default settings. I am really hoping to be able to get it running at full speed again, any help/advice is greatly appreciated.

additional specs as requested:
Windows 10 64bit
EVGA RTX 2080ti
Corsair Force MP600 2TB SSD
EVGA Supernova 850 P2 PSU

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Open the case and ensure that all cables, cards, RAM, jumpers are all fully and firmly in place.

Are you able to boot into Safe Mode?

Try CPU-Z to take a look at the installed memory and configuration settings.

Look for something not as it should be or as expected.

ccheney

Prominent
Mar 6, 2018
Cabling looks good, ram is seated correctly as far as I can tell. CPU-Z looks okay to me, but I'll include a screenshot just in case. This is when the system is running fine at 2400Mhz. If I change it to 2666Mhz, it will start to boot loop before attempting to enter windows recovery mode, where it freezes. I have been unable to enter safe mode, as it seems to lock up whenever it encounters anything windows related.
memory.png

edit: on second thought, could those timings be off (Cas 16 is listed on the memory product page)

Last edited: