[SOLVED] Ram noise ?

JasonNs_

Proper
Sep 22, 2020
Idk what to call it, maybe coil whine, whenever I run memtest I heard loud noise coming from ram place, when i ran single channel, sound still there but barely hear it, is this okay ? What should I do?

Solution
The broken/stepped on RAM should be removed from the motherboard and properly recycled into E-waste. Do not use the module again.

As for the motherboard and the noise continuing without the broken RAM which is the case (as I understand it) then my thought is that the damaged RAM may have indeed allowed current to flow where current should not have gone. Or perhaps out of spec even for a correct flow path.

The sound you describe: would you consider it a screech - high frequency?

FYI:

https://smallbusiness.chron.com/computer-motherboard-make-high-pitched-sound-71933.html

If the sound does not stop when supported RAM modules are installed in a supported configuration then the motherboard may be nearing its end.

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition.

Open the case and use a cardboard or paper tube to carefully verify or otherwise identify the location of the noise you hear.

Do you hear the noise while gaming or doing video editing. Or when running multiple apps?

JasonNs_

Proper
Sep 22, 2020
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition.

Open the case and use a cardboard or paper tube to carefully verify or otherwise identify the location of the noise you hear.

Do you hear the noise while gaming or doing video editing. Or when running multiple apps?
CPU: i5 9400f
Mobo: asus prime b360m-k
Ram: mixed ram, g.skill aegis 8gb 3000mhz and samsung 8gb dont know exact model
SSD/HDD: Kingston a400 120gb/ toshiba 500gb
Gpu: asus Phoenix gtx 1660 PC
Psu: Seasonic core GX 650W its 1 year old.

Tbh I find the sound coming from motherboard ? Like vrms or mosfets near ram, I noticed the sound begins when vcore reaches 1.2V, The sound only occur during heavy ram tasks and memtest

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
What is the reason for running heavy ram tests and memtest?

I would stop doing that.

Is the Kingston 120 GB SSD the boot drive? If so, how full is the drive?

How old is the PSU?

Are you overclocking?

Mixed RAM is also a concern. Ideally you should have a matched set of 2 x 8 GB modules installed for Dual Channel use.

Understanding that "ideally" is not always possible then the objective is to configure the system to some safe and stable level of performance.

Does the following link present the applicable User Guide for your motherboard?

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/PRIME_B360M-K/E13808_PRIME_B360M-K_UM_WEB.PDF

[Do verify that I found the correct User Guide/Manual.]

Compare the currently installed RAM to the supported RAM configurations presented on physically numbered Pages iv and 1-8 of the User Guide.

You should also go to the ASUS website for more information and updates.

JasonNs_

Proper
Sep 22, 2020
What is the reason for running heavy ram tests and memtest?

I would stop doing that.

Is the Kingston 120 GB SSD the boot drive? If so, how full is the drive?

How old is the PSU?

Are you overclocking?

Mixed RAM is also a concern. Ideally you should have a matched set of 2 x 8 GB modules installed for Dual Channel use.

Understanding that "ideally" is not always possible then the objective is to configure the system to some safe and stable level of performance.

Does the following link present the applicable User Guide for your motherboard?

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/PRIME_B360M-K/E13808_PRIME_B360M-K_UM_WEB.PDF

[Do verify that I found the correct User Guide/Manual.]

Compare the currently installed RAM to the supported RAM configurations presented on physically numbered Pages iv and 1-8 of the User Guide.

You should also go to the ASUS website for more information and updates.
  1. I Had 2nd gskill ram, but I broke it when I cleaned my build by mistake, so I had to use old ram and downloaded memtest to see if its gonna work properly.
  2. Yeah the ssd is my boot drive, 50gb free space.
  3. The psu is 1 year old.
  4. Nope I didnt overclock my ram.
  5. Yeah I know mixed ram is concern, but as I said even with single channel the sound will occur but quieter.
  6. For some reason I cant download the pdf file.

Ralston18

Titan
What/how was the RAM broken? Was the RAM in the slot when it broke?

Use a bright flashlight to examine the motherboard around memory slots: any signs of cracks, scratches, bent, or damaged components? Check the slots as well.

Do make an effort to pinpoint the exact source of the noise.

Try going to Asus's website for the User Manual. I normally try to link to manufacturer websites but had to settle on what I could find and link.

Check the motherboard to verify model and version.

You really do not need to download the .pdf either. Just take a close look at the supported RAM specs and supported RAM configurations presented in the User Manual. Use screen captures if necessary for information you want in hard copy form.

And it is very likely that the manual will refer you back to Asus for updated information regarding the QVL (Qualified Vendors List) for supported RAM.

Overall, my thought is that the mix of old and mismatched RAM is likely the root of the problem.

JasonNs_

Proper
Sep 22, 2020
What/how was the RAM broken? Was the RAM in the slot when it broke?

Use a bright flashlight to examine the motherboard around memory slots: any signs of cracks, scratches, bent, or damaged components? Check the slots as well.

Do make an effort to pinpoint the exact source of the noise.

Try going to Asus's website for the User Manual. I normally try to link to manufacturer websites but had to settle on what I could find and link.

Check the motherboard to verify model and version.

You really do not need to download the .pdf either. Just take a close look at the supported RAM specs and supported RAM configurations presented in the User Manual. Use screen captures if necessary for information you want in hard copy form.

And it is very likely that the manual will refer you back to Asus for updated information regarding the QVL (Qualified Vendors List) for supported RAM.

Overall, my thought is that the mix of old and mismatched RAM is likely the root of the problem.
I broke the ram because I stepped on it, I checked ram slots and everything around it, all fine, I tested 3 different ram modules, single, dual, switching slots, the sound will occur, the sound is like opening rusted door or scratching, I really cant determine where the sound is coming from, but it's around ram slots, as i said it only occur when reaching 1.2v on vcore, i think the only solution is to undervolt if that's possible ?

Ralston18

Titan
The broken/stepped on RAM should be removed from the motherboard and properly recycled into E-waste. Do not use the module again.

As for the motherboard and the noise continuing without the broken RAM which is the case (as I understand it) then my thought is that the damaged RAM may have indeed allowed current to flow where current should not have gone. Or perhaps out of spec even for a correct flow path.

FYI:

https://smallbusiness.chron.com/computer-motherboard-make-high-pitched-sound-71933.html

If the sound does not stop when supported RAM modules are installed in a supported configuration then the motherboard may be nearing its end.

Solution

JasonNs_

Proper
Sep 22, 2020

FYI:

It was another stick, and it wasn't in the motherboard, I tested another one.