Question Ram not Clicking in

Aug 23, 2019
Hello, it's me again. I have an old Gigabyte gaming Motherboard from 2015, completed with 8 gb of DDR3 RAM. Though, I tried upgrading this to 16 gb DDR4-3000 RAM today, and I found that it would not click in, even with applied pressure. I even tried putting it in on the other side first, then putting it in on the top. It would click on one side, but not the other. Any suggestions?

DDR4 ram is not going to work in a motherboard designed to fit DDR3.

The notch in the middle of DDR4 ram is not going to allow for DDR4 to fit in a slot designed for DDR3.

compare_ddr3_ddr4.jpg

See how the notch is not in the same slot.

What motherboard and CPU do you have?

Aug 23, 2019
DDR4 ram is not going to work in a motherboard designed to fit DDR3.

The notch in the middle of DDR4 ram is not going to allow for DDR4 to fit in a slot designed for DDR3.

compare_ddr3_ddr4.jpg

See how the notch is not in the same slot.

What motherboard and CPU do you have?
Not sure, I'd have to really clean this computer up to see that. The CPU is an i5, that's all I know. Before you go getting mad about how I don't know my specs, this is my brother's computer, I was installing RAM for him. It's ashame he can't get that upgrade though.

In the majority of cases, if a system has DDR3, you can only upgrade with DDR3. Memory is dependent on what the motherboard can fit and also what the CPU's built-in memory controller is capable of supporting.

There are some motherboards that will support both DDR2 and DDR3, but none of these support an I5.

Aug 23, 2019
In the majority of cases, if a system has DDR3, you can only upgrade with DDR3. Memory is dependent on what the motherboard can fit and also what the CPU's built-in memory controller is capable of supporting.

There are some motherboards that will support both DDR2 and DDR3, but none of these support an I5.
Okay, thank you. I just hope I didn't mess up the DDR4 RAM.