Jul 12, 2021
Hi, so I tried to delid my cpu yesterday but it's really hard. So I decided to undo my intention to delid the cpu. After I installed the cpu, ram etc, my buzzer emitted a long beep. After I checked, remove the ram one by one, apparently the first ram slot could not detect the installed ram. After trying to install ram in the second ram slot it can detect it and can enter the bios. After the first ram slot I cleaned it still no result. My CPU is a Pentium G3420 LGA1150 Haswell. Is it because I delid the cpu ram in the first slot not being detected? Please help yes. Thank you!

Solution
If you made any visible gouges in the substrate, anything is possible. Not sure if there are any SMDs under that CPU's lid, not sure I know of anyone that tried with the Pentium. You could have knocked off some necessary capacitors or resistors.

You can take the CPU out and check for flatness, you can try bending any offending corners back down, which then might make contact with pins in the socket.

If it is damaged, not much to tell you.
Please list your full system specs including PSU.

Make sure your CPU cooler isn't too tight as this has caused weird issues with RAM slots for some.
In many systems, RAM gets installed in the second and fourth slots (from the CPU). Make sure you're install RAM in the correct slots.

Jul 12, 2021
Please list your full system specs including PSU.

Make sure your CPU cooler isn't too tight as this has caused weird issues with RAM slots for some.
In many systems, RAM gets installed in the second and fourth slots (from the CPU). Make sure you're install RAM in the correct slots.

My PC Spec:

PSU Armageddon Voltron Bronze 300fx 300 Watt
Motherboard Gigabyte H81M-DS2V (2 slots of ram)
CPU Intel Pentium G3420
RAM DDR3 4GB Nanya Technology and DDR3 2GB Micron Technology (1600MHz)
Cooler DeepCool Ice Edge Mini
SSD Colorful 120GB

Jul 12, 2021
Delid 53W pentium cpu? What's the purpose for this? Just for sport?
I'm sorry, that's just not a very reasonable thing to do.

Probably bent some cpu socket pins in the process.
Just want to experiment whether Delid will lower the temperature significantly in low end processors

The processor pin sockets are all still normal. Nothing is broken or tilted

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
What method did you use for the delid? If you jammed a razor blade under all the CPU corners but didn't succeed in getting it off, you still put a lot of stress on it. That could easily have bent the pcb, particularly at a corner. But also you put stress on the thermal compound in there. Without finishing the job you risk having part of the CPU no longer properly in contact.

Jul 12, 2021
What method did you use for the delid? If you jammed a razor blade under all the CPU corners but didn't succeed in getting it off, you still put a lot of stress on it. That could easily have bent the pcb, particularly at a corner. But also you put stress on the thermal compound in there. Without finishing the job you risk having part of the CPU no longer properly in contact.
Yes that's right I used a razor to delid. And maybe I accidentally cut the PCB path in the processor so that it can be said that the affected is the Memory (RAM) Controller? Because the processor is still alive if I use the second RAM slot. If I use all the ram slots the buzzer sounds a long beep. What can be said like that? Or is there a problem with the RAM slot?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
If you made any visible gouges in the substrate, anything is possible. Not sure if there are any SMDs under that CPU's lid, not sure I know of anyone that tried with the Pentium. You could have knocked off some necessary capacitors or resistors.

You can take the CPU out and check for flatness, you can try bending any offending corners back down, which then might make contact with pins in the socket.

Solution
Jul 12, 2021

ok, thanks a lot for your help. Maybe I'll try to replace the cpu with another cpu. Once again, thank you.

TRENDING THREADS