Question RAM not detected by system.

Dec 13, 2020
Hello all,

First-time poster and system builder here. I've just finished my first non-prebuilt PC and I'm running into trouble getting it to work.

No video signal whatsoever, fans and LEDs run. I looked into the pinned thread on this and tried my PC speaker. That gives me one long beep and two short beeps, repeated ad infinitum. ASUS documentation says this indicates no detected RAM.

My RAM sticks are in the proper places (slots A2 and B2, as recommended by the mobo manual) and I've ensured they're locked in and properly seated. I've tried both of my sticks alone (again, as per the manual's placement guide) and still no detection.

Any idea what's up here? I'm really unsure of what to do and I'd appreciate any guidance.

System specs:

CPU: Intel Core i5-10400F 2.9 GHz 6-Core Processor
Cooler: be quiet! Pure Rock Slim 35.14 CFM CPU Cooler
Mobo: Asus PRIME B460M-A Micro ATX LGA1200 Motherboard
RAM: GeIL EVO POTENZA 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 Memory
GPU: Gigabyte Radeon RX 5600 XT 6 GB WINDFORCE OC Video Card
Storage: Team GX2 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive
PSU: EVGA B5 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Case: Rosewill NAUTILUS ATX Mid Tower Case

That RAM is not on the QVL list of your motherboard.

It has the GPR416GB3000C16DC model but not GPR416GB3000C16ADC. It should still work.

Do this.

• Shutdown system
  • Turn PSU switch to off
  • Unplug PSU from wall
  • Press power button and keep it pressed for 20 seconds
  • Remove motherboard battery
  • Come back in 15 mins
  • Put the battery back
  • Plug psu in the wall
  • Flip PSU switch to on
  • Start system

Dec 13, 2020
That RAM is not on the QVL list of your motherboard.

It has the GPR416GB3000C16DC model but not GPR416GB3000C16ADC. It should still work.

Do this.

• Shutdown system
  • Turn PSU switch to off
  • Unplug PSU from wall
  • Press power button and keep it pressed for 20 seconds
  • Remove motherboard battery
  • Come back in 15 mins
  • Put the battery back
  • Plug psu in the wall
  • Flip PSU switch to on
  • Start system
Gotcha- I'll report back afterwards. Sorry if this is a stupid question- but how do I go about removing and replacing the mobo battery safely? Thanks.

EDIT: nevermind on that, was a simple holding clip. Waiting now.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2020
Gotcha- I'll report back afterwards. Sorry if this is a stupid question- but how do I go about removing and replacing the mobo battery safely? Thanks.

EDIT: nevermind on that, was a simple holding clip. Waiting now.

Alright, I followed the process exactly- set a 15 minute timer and all. I reinstalled the mobo battery, got the system started again, and it's still giving me the beep code for no RAM.

I wasn't aware of the existence of QVL lists until now. PC Parts Picker reported no issues with parts compatibility for this build.

Dec 13, 2020
Hey all- sorry to self bump but I've had little success thereafter.

The good: RAM is detected by system now- it just needed a little more seating on one side. Speaker gives one beep on startup, which by ASUS documentation should mean all OK.

The bad: Still no video signal.

I've run through everything on the pinned thread list short of breadboarding- reset the CMOS three times now (including leaving it overnight), reseated every single power cable, made sure the mobo was on its bronze standoffs, so on.

Could it possibly be the monitor or HDMI cable having some kind of trouble interfacing? (The former worked without a problem with VGA on my old PC, and the latter was originally connecting an xbox to a projector- neither had any issues in those roles.) I've tried both the integrated graphics and GPU outputs to no avail.

I'm not sure what else to do with this aside from take it to a computer repair shop. Any advice would be welcome.