Question RAM not listed on compatibility list for my Motherboard

May 28, 2022
I have a MSI Pro Z690-A DDR4 motherboard and I am wondering if the RAM will work.
The RAM that I am looking at is a kit of Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 64GB (2 x 32GB) 3200MHz - PVS464G320C6K.

I checked the MSI support page for the motherboard and the Patriot kit was not on the compatibility list. The thing that gives me a bit more pause is that only 2 kits were listed for the entire memory Patriot brand. as being compatible with the board. Will I be okay with the choice or should I look for another kit?

I am a novice and I just want to make sure things are okay. Thanks in advance

KyaraM

Admirable
The compatibility list just means that the company tested this particular product. It does not mean that only those will work. For example, for my Corsair Vengeance LPX kit, only the 3200MHz one was tested for that board, which I also use. My 3600MHz kit works just fine despite not being listed. I would assume it will be the same for you.

Reactions: Beans Franklin

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Ram is made of silicon chiplets, OEM for those is only a dozen or so companies worldwide. The make ram to order for everybody. You'll find the exact same SkHynix chips in Corsair LPX as in Patriots, Adata, Dell, AMD, Gskill or most other brands you can name. Same applies for Samsung, Micron, Nanya etc.

There's over 5000 individual model numbers just in Gskill Trident-Z, they differ according to color, kit size, speeds, OEM, timings, heatsink design, rgb etc. But under all that, same few OEM chiplets.

If you test a 8Gb stick, it's the same chips whether it's blue, red, gold, black etc but those may not be on the list because a white was tested. The white at 3200MHz and 4 stick kit is the same as a black at 2400MHz and single kit, same chips.

So yes, your ram has been tested, it's on the list, but under another vendor, another speed, another color as it'd be entirely pointless to test all the sticks, combinations, colors and have a list 1000's of pages long, taking millions of man hours to create, for every single motherboard made by that vendor as 95% of the results would be nothing more than duplicates.

If you test drive a red Camero, it's not going to be any different than if you test drive the exact same car, in blue.

The QVL is Qualified Vendor List, not Qualified Ram List, all it says is any particular vendor uses ram that's compatible and worked, nothing more specific than that. So if Patriot is anywhere on the list, or the OEM Patriot used is anywhere on the list, you are good. The exact model number is almost meaningless because color doesn't matter, heatsink design doesn't matter etc.

Last edited: