RAM Not noticed by motherboard

kingkyoo27

Prominent
Dec 21, 2017
Hey everyone,
I got a question that might either stump you or make me look extremely dumb. I have 2 sticks of 2x4 DDR3 and yesterday my computer decided to stop noticing one stick of ram. Both sticks are fine because I tested it in the slot that worked. When I use the "broken' slot it still clicks in but when I try to turn on the pc it beeps twice. I've tried clearing CMOS and BIOS but that didn't help. I can't understand why it would only see one stick of ram. I am on Windows 7.

kingkyoo27

Prominent
Dec 21, 2017

Yes

Dead RAM slots are often caused by bent CPU socket pins - and while I guess you did not remove CPU while cleaning, but if the cooler was put back improperly (for example the screws would be too tight if using aftermarket cooler) it could cause similar issue. Unless you are using stock cooler that has push pins instead of screws, as those can't be made too tight.

kingkyoo27

Prominent
Dec 21, 2017

They are screws. Should I take out the cpu? My computer still works which is the weird part with 4gb of ram

Obviously there is only one rule here - cooler must be firmly set, meaning it cannot move even a bit when you try to move it. If you reach point where you can move the cooler then you loosened screws too much. So as you can see there is no simple answer to your question - it will take several tries to find out how loose is good.