[SOLVED] Ram not overclocking

Dec 27, 2021
Pc Specs:
Amd Ryzen 5 4650g
Gigabyte B550 DS3H AC
Xpg Spectrix D60g 3200mhz 4x 8GB 16-20-20-20-38

Ok so the issue is that earlier i had just two ram sticks which i had overclocked to 3933mhz. Later i brought two more sticks with literally the same specs and tried to overclock the sticks to 3933 but they wont go above the default xmp. I tried resetting bios, updating it to the latest but no difference. All the sticks overclock properly when tested individually and in pairs. The issue only occurs when they are as 4.
Also i noticed that in spd info in bios it always shows memory capacity 0gb for a2 and b2 slot no matter what stick it is.

Solution
A2 & B2 are normally the correct slots when running 2 sticks so I am not surprised XMP only worked with the RAM installed here.

As for 1.38v I would not worry. It’s an insignificant difference if it is running 1.38v but could just be the sensor reading is not 100% accurate. Usually when overclocking DDR4 you push the voltage up anyway, most articles state up to 1.45v should be safe.

I understand faster RAM is better for an APU but mixing kits and running 4 sticks was always risking limiting the maximum speed. You can try pushing the DRAM voltage up, I would not go over 1.45v. It may help.

piechockidocent9

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
Try maual method, xmp is for designed "newbie-friendly" It uses setting that are most compatible, tested, safe rtc. in systems. Most systems won't have more than 2 slot's/sticks of ramin them hence probable cause of ur issue. See the settings ur 2 sticks of memory runs fine while overclocked via xmp (mainly votage), Plug in all 4 sticks and set everything manually instead of xmp, if it runs fine good, if not you might have a problem with ur mb. Note that you are operating in a sort of gray are here, accordind to specs ur mb supports ram up to 4733MHz, from lower specs 3600Mhz and 4000Mhz so you are running ram at speed not specified by manufacturer.

Reactions: Priyesh21699
It is fairly common for the max achievable speed to be lower when using 4 sticks due to the extra work on the memory controller. You have also been lucky mixing 2 kits and being able to run XMP, there was a chance they would not even run at 2400mhz without issues. Mixing kits, even same make and model is a gamble which you have already been lucky at.

Dec 27, 2021
Thanks for the info. But i also noticed 2 more things that i need to share. When i put ram into a1 and b1 i.e the second slot instead of the a2 b2 the priority slot, i wasnt able to overclock the rams there. So it seems i m only able to oc the ram in the priority slot. Second thing I noticed is the when set the xmp irrespective of the no. of rams, the memory voltage shows 1.38v in bios instead of the 1.35 at which the xmp works. The sole reason i want to oc the rams is that i don't have a gpu and APUs benifit from faster rams if i m not wrong.

A2 & B2 are normally the correct slots when running 2 sticks so I am not surprised XMP only worked with the RAM installed here.

As for 1.38v I would not worry. It’s an insignificant difference if it is running 1.38v but could just be the sensor reading is not 100% accurate. Usually when overclocking DDR4 you push the voltage up anyway, most articles state up to 1.45v should be safe.

I understand faster RAM is better for an APU but mixing kits and running 4 sticks was always risking limiting the maximum speed. You can try pushing the DRAM voltage up, I would not go over 1.45v. It may help.

Reactions: Priyesh21699
Solution
Dec 27, 2021
xmp did work on a1 and b1 slot just not the overclock even with the rams from the same kit. 2 sticks that is not 4. i understand that 4 may not work together. but 2 sticks i should be able to right?