Ram not recognized at correct speed, need help adjusting

djbuttolph

Honorable
Jun 25, 2012
I currently have this ram in my computer http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231455 It's recognized in the BIOS as 1333 mhz, and when i try to bump it up using the automatic memory clock i can only get it to stay at 1600 mhz, it won't boot with the 1866 mhz under automatic memory clock. I know the ram I have has a Cas Latency 9, timing 9-10-9-28 and a voltage of 1.5V, can someone show me where to put these numbers in to get it to actually use the ram as the 1866 mhz? Also, my motherboard is a GA-970A-UD3 and I just updated my BIOS to the most recent version.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/594/20120625202341.jpg/

As I said earlier, I know what the timing is for my ram, I just don't know where to enter the numbers on there.

Thanks guys

EDIT:Accidently put my mobo link up, correct link to my ram is up now. A lot of other people have this issue too it looks like.

What processor do you have? Bulldozer processors support up to DDR3-1866 memory at JEDEC voltage and timing specifications. Previous Phenom II based processors only support DDR3-1333 memory natively. Running DDR3-1600 and DDR3-1866 requires that the memory controller be overclocked and operation outside the marketed specifications is not guaranteed. It's possible that your processor is just a lemon.

Okay, then it should work if you can put in the timings and voltage in properly.

Here is the PDF of the motherboard manual:

http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_ga-970a-ud3_e.pdf

Prior to doing anything in the BIOS setup you should first check and see if there are any firmware updates available for the board. Most motheboard manufacturers significantly expand DRAM support after launch. Once that is done, go to page 33 of your motherboard manual (for reference)

Enter the following menus: "MB Intelligent Tweaker"

Scroll down to "Set Memory Clock" and set this to "Manual"

Set the "Memory Clock" to "1866" like you did before.

Next, enter "DRAM Configuration"

Set "DDR3 Timing Items" to "Manual"

Set the CAS Latency, RAS to CAS R/W Delay, Row Precharge Time, and Minimum RAS Active Time to the specified values. Leave everything else on Auto for now.

Go back to the previous menu and scroll down to DRAM Voltage Control. This should default to 1.5V but set it to 1.5 to be sure, maybe even 1.55 if you have more than 2 modules or a crappy PSU.

Good luck!

djbuttolph

Honorable
Jun 25, 2012
Thanks for the fast help pin, I'll do it tomorrow after work as I gotta get up early, I have 2 4 gb sticks, so should i do 1.55V? or stay with 1.5 until i go to 4 sticks?

The JEDEC DDR3 standard is 1.5 volts +/- 5% which puts anything from 1.425 to 1.575 in the standard range. The DDR3 standard requres that modules be able to take up to 1.95 volts before incurring damage but Intel lists the maximum DDR3 voltage for their CPUs at 1.8 volts, I'm not sure what AMD has. Ergo, 1.5 is most desirable but try 1.55 if it's not perfectly stable.

djbuttolph

Honorable
Jun 25, 2012
Pin,

I put Cas Latency at 9, RAS to CAS R/W Delay at 10, Row Precharge time at 9, and Minimum RAS active time at 28. I believe these are the right timings as the RAM i have is 9-10-9-28. When I went to restart after saving these (voltage at 1.55V) my computer immediately restarted after trying to load Windows. Any ideas?