Question Ram not running as fast as it should, any advice?

Feb 19, 2024
Hello, when I built my PC I purchased DDR4 3600 ram, 64 gigs. After doing some testing it seems the ram is only running at 2400. What could be possibly causing this? Here are my specs.
gpu - 3080 ti
cpu - amd ryzen 9 5900x 12 core
memory - 64 gigs
motherboard - msi tomahawk max II b450
storage - samsung ssd evo plus 2 terabytes
power supply - corsair 2023 gold 1000w
let me know if there is anything else you need to know

Feb 19, 2024
first make sure your kit is supported by the motherboard.
MSI will have a list provided on their product support pages.

if it is,
have you enabled the RAM's EXPO profile in your BIOS?
i cant find anything of supported parts but i'd imagine that within the two years i've had my pc it would have been obvious the ram isnt compatible? or would it just work slower? i'd think that the ram wouldnt even work. ask for the profiles what does this entail?

i'd imagine that within the two years i've had my pc it would have been obvious the ram isnt compatible?
no.
would mean that there is no EXPO profile for this RAM for the user to load.
so it would run at default speeds until the user manually input the RAM kit's manufacturer rated specs.

could mean that it was tested at the memory manufacturer's rated specs and it failed to properly run at those speeds.

i cant find anything of supported parts
Support > Compatibility > Memory Support

Feb 19, 2024
AMD boards use a profile called EXPO for their supported RAM kits.

allows the user to easily input the manufacturer rated speeds by just selecting this profile rather than manually input all variables.
checked the compatibility, seems to be compatible. as for the profiles i looked in bios and i am set on profile 2. as i was in bios i noticed my dram frequency was set to auto so i changed it to 3600 mhz to see if it would bump the 2400 up. i'll check to see if it actually changed anything.

i am set on profile 2
you'd have to make sure that this profile supports the rated speeds of the RAM.
there is usually multiple profiles with different variables set to choose from.

my dram frequency was set to auto so i changed it to 3600 mhz to see if it would bump the 2400 up.
if the supported 3600MHz wasn't used with this profile you should also make sure your timings & voltage are correct.

Feb 19, 2024
you'd have to make sure that this profile supports the rated speeds of the RAM.
there is usually multiple profiles with different variables set to choose from.

if the supported 3600MHz wasn't used with this profile you should also make sure your timings & voltage are correct.
where can i find the timings and voltage? it doesnt seem much of a difference was made from changing it from auto.

i am set on profile 2
Profile 1 is usually the default manufacturer rated profile.
2 has normally been provided if any issue may arise with profile 1.
where can i find the timings and voltage?
manufacturer rated specs would be on the packaging and on the product web page.

settings in BIOS would be through Advanced or some other sub grouping provided by MSI.
you'd have to search if you're not familiar with BIOS settings or MSI in particular.

dcvikes

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
You won't see an option for EXPO in an AM4 BIOS (OP has an AM4 setup) it will be called XMP. EXPO is exclusively AM5. Asus being the only mobo vendor that calls XMP "DOCP" in the AM4 BIOS.