[SOLVED] RAM not running at 3200mhz

Jul 13, 2020
Hi, first time posting here. I recently bought an additional Corsair Vengeance kit 2x8gb 3200mhz to add to my Corsair Vengeance kit 2x4gb 3200mhz, after installing both of them, they work great, but not at 3200mhz as expected. I know that my CPU Intel I5-6500 doesn't support more than 2133mhz but the motherboard does, it's a GA-Z170X-Gaming 3 (rev. 1.1).

I haven't tried the XMP profile because I'm a little scared (for not knowing) of doing something wrong (and I'm not in a position to lose my PC). The same with setting the voltages manually.

After checking the BIOS, also found that the timings and voltages are settled lower than they should run. Can this be harmful if they keep working in lower settings? (Check images below)

Specs:
CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.20Ghz
Mother: GA-Z170X-Gaming 3 (rev. 1.1) BIOS v.F4
RAM: 1kit Corsair Vengeance 2x4gb 3200Mhz - 1kit Corsair Vengeance 2x8gb 3200Mhz (Both should run at the same timings and voltage according to the info in the Rams)
GPU: GeForce GTX 1060 6gb

JGqrWJs.jpg

CVrWwo5.jpg

Let me know if you need any other information. Thanks in advance!

Solution
No harm at all, everyone has to do the same :)

Yeah try as is, 8-4-8-4. If it don't work, try the other way. I know Intel shows a specific way but long as the sets are in their own designated channels it probably could work either way. See how you go.

To check ram speed in Windows, use Cpuz. If 3200 is working, frequency under the memory tab should read on exactly 1600 or there abouts, ie 1599 etc. Cpuz reads single data (Actual memory clock) so you'd double that figure in your head to know what double data rate is.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Reactions: JiBisceglia
Jul 13, 2020
XMP is required, all it does is set timings and dram voltage to 1.35v to run at rated speeds. Without XMP, default ram volt is 1.2v which is not enough for over 2666. 1.35v is perfectly safe and normal operation.

No guarantees mixing ram though, results can vary.

See here for mixing four, differing sized pairs.
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005657/boards-and-kits.html

Just to be clear, setting the XMP profile shouldn't do any harm, right? Will check this and the RAM positions (I know I have installed them like this 8 - 4 - 8 - 4, but I'm not sure if they are in the correct channel)

Thank you!

boju

Titan
Ambassador
No harm at all, everyone has to do the same :)

Yeah try as is, 8-4-8-4. If it don't work, try the other way. I know Intel shows a specific way but long as the sets are in their own designated channels it probably could work either way. See how you go.

To check ram speed in Windows, use Cpuz. If 3200 is working, frequency under the memory tab should read on exactly 1600 or there abouts, ie 1599 etc. Cpuz reads single data (Actual memory clock) so you'd double that figure in your head to know what double data rate is.

Solution
Jul 13, 2020
If mixing ram doesnt work at all, Cpuz reading 1066 or something, try with just the 4s or 8s on their own in 2nd and 4th slot from cpu to see if there's any change.
See the images below of CPUz with current configuration 8-4-8-4 (I didn't modify anything yet, going to sleep).

3MFWL61.png

h6zkNFg.png

f6ArfoI.png

SDuaBwp.png