Question RAM is not running at the advertised XMP timings/speed ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

NathW90

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2016
Hi all,

Today my new RAM arrived and upon installing, the PC simply lights up for 3-5 seconds, before everything switches off again and then the cycle just continuously repeats. When I put my old RAM in - as I have now - the PC is back to working just fine.

My current RAM is HyperX Fury RGB DDR4 3733mt/s 2 x 8GB and the new RAM I'm trying to install is Kingston Fury Beast RGB DDR4 3733mt/s 2 x 16GB. My PC is a HP Omen using the Intel Z690 chipset with their BlizzardOC 8917 board, and I'm on the latest BIOS. I can't see any reason why the new RAM wouldn't be compatible or cause a problem. It's essentially a like for like swap, just more memory.

I've tried both new stick in slots 2 and 4 together, both in slot 2 separately and both in slot 4 separately, and it's the exact same issue every time.

EDIT:

Apologies, this specific issue is now resolved. It was overclocking being enabled in Omen Gaming Hub causing the issue. Once I switched that off, it worked and the PC boots as it should.

That said, I do have another related issue I've now noticed. Please see this post:

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/new-ram-causing-restarts.3855962/#post-23342427

Last edited:

NathW90

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2016
in the bios you don't choose automatic but you select the profile XMP when exit the bios you have to choose to save the changes before exit, if you forget it it's not going to keep it, in any other case your motherboard is at fault

Yes I am definitely saving when I exit the BIOS. The issue is that in the BIOS they display the timings incorrectly in the first instance. As soon as you go into the BIOS and look at the XMP profiles, they're not set up as they should be.

From what I can see the RAM is running as per the XMP profile settings, it's just that the XMP values aren't what they're supposed to be in the first place.

triplex1

Upstanding
Jun 2, 2024
Yes I am definitely saving when I exit the BIOS. The issue is that in the BIOS they display the timings incorrectly in the first instance. As soon as you go into the BIOS and look at the XMP profiles, they're not set up as they should be.

From what I can see the RAM is running as per the XMP profile settings, it's just that the XMP values aren't what they're supposed to be in the first place.
Upload one photo from your mb model

NathW90

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2016
HP has only 1 file with bios
because I'm still looking for your problem and I've found the solution, go home and I'll tell you later, I'll be here

hwinfo-5.png

Thank you for all of your help.

triplex1

Upstanding
Jun 2, 2024
-As I told you before, everything is to blame for the motherboard that your computer has and the HP that has some commitments and protections in the system.
-If you don't mind the XMP profile that gives you in the bios, leave it as it is.
-If there is no longer a warranty and you want the above, you get another commercial motherboard (ATX not Micro and not very expensive) and put it in the case with all the other hardware , it is a good upgrade.

*Others have the same problems as you with a newer system than yours pre-built by HP with ddr5

triplex1

Upstanding
Jun 2, 2024
Yes it does, but the speeds/timings of the XMP profiles in the BIOS are different to what they are in this picture and what they should be.

The XMP profiles in the BIOS show as:

Profile #1: 3733MT/s, 20-24-24
Profile #2: 3467MT/s, 18-21-21
If you leave it as it is, you put profile 1 and do not deal with CL of the ram

NathW90

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2016
-As I told you before, everything is to blame for the motherboard that your computer has and the HP that has some commitments and protections in the system.
-If you don't mind the XMP profile that gives you in the bios, leave it as it is.
-If there is no longer a warranty and you want the above, you get another commercial motherboard (ATX not Micro and not very expensive) and put it in the case with all the other hardware , it is a good upgrade.

*Others have the same problems as you with a newer system than yours pre-built by HP with ddr5

So you believe that the motherboard is effectively downgrading the CL timing from 19 to 20 when selecting the XMP profile for 3733MT/s?

triplex1

Upstanding
Jun 2, 2024
Reactions: NathW90

NathW90

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2016
read carefully how to upgrade the bios first and then you can do it carefully step by step
Rev.A I think it's beta and obviously it has to do with some fixes

BIOS updated.

XMP Profile 2 is now correct and has changed from 3467MT/s and CL19 to 3600MT/s and CL18, which is correct, but XMP Profile 1 is still 3733MT/s and CL20 instead of CL19 as it should be.

Reactions: triplex1

triplex1

Upstanding
Jun 2, 2024
BIOS updated.

XMP Profile 2 is now correct and has changed from 3467MT/s and CL19 to 3600MT/s and CL18, which is correct, but XMP Profile 1 is still 3733MT/s and CL20 instead of CL19 as it should be.
enjoy
:)
as long as it is the last one CL , it uploads it automatically
watch if a new bios comes out, at some point it will fix it

NathW90

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2016

I would if I could get it to be CL19 with the 3733MT/s as it should be! :tearsofjoy: unfortunately that part of it is not resolved.

Could I try creating a custom profile, simply changing CAS Latency from 20 to 19 and changing RAS TO CAS Delay from 24 to 23 whilst keeping all of the other parameters beneath the same, or would I need to change those, too?

PXL-20240924-221458105.jpg

triplex1

Upstanding
Jun 2, 2024
I would if I could get it to be CL19 with the 3733MT/s as it should be! :tearsofjoy: unfortunately that part of it is not resolved.

Could I try creating a custom profile, simply changing CAS Latency from 20 to 19 and changing RAS TO CAS Delay from 24 to 23 whilst keeping all of the other parameters beneath the same, or would I need to change those, too?

PXL-20240924-221458105.jpg
what happen if you doing the locked down of the sceenshot unlocked?