[SOLVED] Ram not running at full speed

Feb 24, 2020
Hi, it seems like I've had non-stop problems since I built this second setup and it's really starting to be frustrating.

My UEFI BIOS doesnt give me the option in Advanced AI tuning to enable XMP Profile and where it sould be I get another option that isn't it?
I'm stuck at a default of 1200mhz and I really dont want to be running DDR3 speeds here, any help?

Specs
--------------------
CPU - Ryzen 7 2700x
GPU - MSI Geforce GTX 1660 Ventus OC
Mobo - Asus Prime B450M-A
RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX 2400mhz (1x8gb)

Solution
so it only displays 1200 but I still get 2400? Is that due to the ram or mobo?
The real speed of any memory is half what is advertised, strictly speaking. But due to double data rate (DDR), the transfer rate, measured in MT/s but often referred to as MHz as well, is double. Some software or bios will report the true clock speed and others will report the transfer rate. Generally on ddr4 1200mhz means 2400mhz, 1333 means 2666, 1600 means 3200, etc. Its the same performance and speed no matter which of the two frequencies the motherboard reports.
so it only displays 1200 but I still get 2400? Is that due to the ram or mobo?
The real speed of any memory is half what is advertised, strictly speaking. But due to double data rate (DDR), the transfer rate, measured in MT/s but often referred to as MHz as well, is double. Some software or bios will report the true clock speed and others will report the transfer rate. Generally on ddr4 1200mhz means 2400mhz, 1333 means 2666, 1600 means 3200, etc. Its the same performance and speed no matter which of the two frequencies the motherboard reports.

Solution

CosmicDance

Notable
Jun 11, 2019
You need two sticks of RAM to run it in dual channel mode.
A single stick heavily restricts your performance as it cannot run in dual channel i.e. full speed.

If you are gaming you want 16GB really.
The RAM sticks have to be identical and from the same manufacturer as these Ryzens are a lot more fussy than Intel.

Andy

Reactions: extreme_noob