Ram not running at max speed ?

Habbelfisk

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2015
cvnart.com
Hello, I've only recently realized my RAM's running at x6.66 (1333mhz) instead of x8.00 (1600mhz). This is not that much of a big deal, but since I'm mainly a video editor I'd prefer having it run at full speed.

I'm OC'ing my cpu by increasing bus frequency (running 215), it gives 4.3mhz but this also puts my RAM at 1433mhz and going up to 1600 that way will leave all components OC'd beyond comprehension of my system. Using manual preset and setting it to 1600 is the logical thing here, only whenever I as much as touch that setting I won't even get into windows. BIOS then tells me the last working clock speeds and asks me to return to those.

I'm running manual voltages set on default except on the cpu, also tried increasing the RAM voltage when doing 1600mhz but that didn't do the trick.

As far as I realize CPU-z shows half the supposed speed, so logically 716.5 means 1433MHz. Also slot 1 is identical to slot 2, and slot 3 is identical to slot 4. They're both corsair vengeance with same timings etc, only difference is their age and heatspreaders. I figured these 2 types of RAM would work fine together.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4rmgi3ofj1hy2ty/1.png?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ngyybsdcpzjtn3t/2.png?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/sz7rmpohk1o4f6n/3.png?dl=0

Solution
Might be the sticks just don't want to play which happens all the time - I'd set things to default, start with one stick, enable EOCP or XMP, set to 1600, raise DRAM voltage up + 0.05, save exit, shutdown and add the other stick. You have two different sticks, try the easy way to set them up rather than the difficult approach of messing with multipliers and the like

Habbelfisk

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2015
cvnart.com

What'd be worse with using the multiplier for OC'ing my CPU then? And yeah I tried the profiles, I guess I'll try the profile running at stock speed on the cpu then.

Habbelfisk

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2015
cvnart.com

GA 990xa-ud3 mobo and FX 8370. They're a little different yes, but they're both Corsair Vengeance running same speeds, timings and all modules are 4 gb. 2/4 Sticks have low profile heatspreaders which is the one significant difference.

Habbelfisk

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2015
cvnart.com

Yeah I know, but fsb increases NB speed and such as well right? Are they fine at default or should I overclock them back to where the fsb put them when doing multiplier oc?

Habbelfisk

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2015
cvnart.com

Sorry for inactivity. I put FSB to default and did both manual 8.00 multiplier for RAM and Easy OC profile @1600mhz, I did both of these with different voltages between 1.5v and 1.605v. Still got the 'couldn't boot due to bad overclock' message.

Only way I've managed to get ram higher than 1333mhz is FSB. 220x gives 1465mhz ram speed and 4.4mhz on cpu. I figured I'd lower the board speeds then, 220x 11x was 2400mhz NB which is 200mhz over default. I lowered it to 10x and HT to 12x. This makes it stable and I've seen people do it but it won't get me to 1600 (if so, then really sketchy and hot) so I'd rather figure out why simply changing the RAM speed won't work, even when everything else is running at default.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
Might be the sticks just don't want to play which happens all the time - I'd set things to default, start with one stick, enable EOCP or XMP, set to 1600, raise DRAM voltage up + 0.05, save exit, shutdown and add the other stick. You have two different sticks, try the easy way to set them up rather than the difficult approach of messing with multipliers and the like

Solution