[SOLVED] Ram not running at right speeds.

Mar 23, 2022
I recently bought another kit of ram (16gb Vengeance LPX) to add to my existing kit of 16gb. When I plugged the ram into the mobo, there was more resistance in slots 1 and 3 than it 2 and 4. Once I started up the system and opening my bios, I saw that all the modules were running at 2133 mhz rather than their 3000mhz capability. I tried manually setting the speeds to 3000 mhz, but nothing seemed to change the running frequency. When I have ram in just slots 2 and 4, it runs properly at 3000 mhz, but with only slots 1 and 3 filled, it won't run above 2133 mhz. So my question is: is it possible that debris (dust, etc.) could be limiting how fast the ram is allowed to run in slots 1 and 3, and how should I clean the slots if that is the case?

Solution
The motherboard is an Asus TUF-GAMING B450m-plus. It has a maximum RAM capacity of 128gb. My processor is a Ryzen 5 2600X. If I clean the DIMM terminals with isopropyl alcohol, would I have to remove the motherboard from the system?

No just remove each Dimm for cleaning.
Your MB can support up to 4400Mhz and your CPU officially supports up to 2933Mhz.
Ultimately it is the IMC that will determine what frequency you will achieve.
Hi Luke (y) and Welcome to the Forum :D

Please list your Motherboard and P/N of the RAM kit your using?
Yes contamination can prevent RAM functionality. You can use Isopropyl Alcohol to clean the DIMM terminals and a can of compressed Air to blow out the slots. Do this only with system fully disconnected from power.
I don't think this is your issue rather a mismatch or your mixing RAM kit's IMO.
It can also be your MB limitation or the IMC will not support the higher frequency.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2022
The motherboard is an Asus TUF-GAMING B450m-plus. It has a maximum RAM capacity of 128gb. My processor is a Ryzen 5 2600X. If I clean the DIMM terminals with isopropyl alcohol, would I have to remove the motherboard from the system?

No just remove each Dimm for cleaning.
Your MB can support up to 4400Mhz and your CPU officially supports up to 2933Mhz.
Ultimately it is the IMC that will determine what frequency you will achieve.

Last edited:
Solution

logainofhades

Titan
We need to know the part numbers, for each kit of ram. Mixing ram, of different model numbers can lead instability, BSOD, ect. In some cases, you can run into issues as companies can be bad about using the same part number, despite the ram modules being from a different revision.

Mar 23, 2022
We need to know the part numbers, for each kit of ram. Mixing ram, of different model numbers can lead instability, BSOD, ect. In some cases, you can run into issues as companies can be bad about using the same part number, despite the ram modules being from a different revision.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/gTE57m8ZPP8yjpFN8

All 4 modules are Corsair Vengeance LPX 8gb sticks running at 3000mhz. The link above is a picture of all the modules and their information stickers.