[SOLVED] RAM not running at the correct speed

Subatago

Prominent
Mar 15, 2019
Hi,

My memory has decided to run at lower speeds than it should, I have Corsair LPX 3200MHz (4x8GB).

According to CPU-Z it's running at 1066MHz and according to task manager it's running at 2133MHz.

CPU-Z:
RSX2GdL.png

Task manager:
yj0E71t.png

Any idea why this happens?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
You need to actually enable to correct speed in BIOS. They won't run at those high speeds out of the box.

DDR stands for double data rate.
1066 x 2 = 2132 (2133 MHz)

Task manager is displaying them with the DDR taken into account. But 1066 and 2133 in this scenario is saying the same thing.

But you need to enable XMP/DOCP or RAM speed profile in your BIOS to 3200 to actually run at those speeds. :)

Reactions: Tioym

Subatago

Prominent
Mar 15, 2019
You need to actually enable to correct speed in BIOS. They won't run at those high speeds out of the box.

DDR stands for double data rate.
1066 x 2 = 2132 (2133 MHz)

Task manager is displaying them with the DDR taken into account. But 1066 and 2133 in this scenario is saying the same thing.

But you need to enable XMP/DOCP or RAM speed profile in your BIOS to 3200 to actually run at those speeds. :)

I just checked and XMP is Enabled. I noticed that after a few restarts it just reverts back to 2133MHz (XMP stays enabled, the RAM just doesn't overclock anymore).
If I then disable and enable XMP it works for a few restarts.

Setting the frequency manually on the RAM sometimes gives me the error "Overclock failed".

Motherboard if it helps: MSI X470 Gaming pro carbon

I don't have the latest BIOS as the download page for the BIOS is down at this moment. I have the 2nd latest BIOS version.

dimtodim

Reputable
I just checked and XMP is Enabled. I noticed that after a few restarts it just reverts back to 2133MHz (XMP stays enabled, the RAM just doesn't overclock anymore).
If I then disable and enable XMP it works for a few restarts.

Setting the frequency manually on the RAM sometimes gives me the error "Overclock failed".

Motherboard if it helps: MSI X470 Gaming pro carbon

I don't have the latest BIOS as the download page for the BIOS is down at this moment. I have the 2nd latest BIOS version.
u dont need last version of bios for doing that