Question RAM not running at XMP/DOCP

Jan 16, 2022
I have 32gb Corsair Vengeance CMW16GX4M2Z3600C18. It's 4 x 8gb. I had 16gb before that ran on 3600MHz, but when I upgraded to 32gb of the exact same RAM, it wont run on more then 2666MHz. I have XMP/DOCP on and even tried to overclock it manually, but nothing works.
The motherboard is Asus rog strix b450-E with ryzen 5 3600x

Hi n0rdens.

Before you were not mixing RAM and you were not using 4 sticks putting more strain on the memory controller. You would not have this issue with a 2x16GB RAM Kit.

It's one or the other or both at the same time.

Did you try using XMP and setting the speed manually to 2933MHZ or 3200Mhz or 3600MHz? Does one stick? If yes which one.

Hello to you ..... I have an Asus ROG STRIX X99 mobo and as the pc was custom built i did not know if XMP was enabled when i planned to put in higher spec ram.
The link for this video shows the basics of enabling XMP and as i remember some advanced features , may i suggest you watch it all the way through as you might just see something you missed.
A Beginners Guide: What is XMP? and How To Enable Your RAM's XMP. - Bing video

Jan 16, 2022
Hi n0rdens.

Before you were not mixing RAM and you were not using 4 sticks putting more strain on the memory controller. You would not have this issue with a 2x16GB RAM Kit.

It's one or the other or both at the same time.

Did you try using XMP and setting the speed manually to 2933MHZ or 3200Mhz or 3600MHz? Does one stick? If yes which one.
I have tried setting the speed manually to that, yes. Didn't change anything. Could it be that it needs more voltage??

I have tried setting the speed manually to that, yes. Didn't change anything. Could it be that it needs more voltage??
More voltage might help, you are going to need to experiment. Extra voltage might allow you to get a bit higher even if you don’t manage 3600mhz.

You are already doing well. Mixing kits even of the same model is not guaranteed to work at all, there was a chance it would not boot. See odd man out section here https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq...y-ram-and-xmp-profile-configurations.3398926/

Also when running 4 dimms the maximum stable speed is usually lower for to the extra load on the memory controller.

Jan 16, 2022
More voltage might help, you are going to need to experiment. Extra voltage might allow you to get a bit higher even if you don’t manage 3600mhz.

You are already doing well. Mixing kits even of the same model is not guaranteed to work at all, there was a chance it would not boot. See odd man out section here https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq...y-ram-and-xmp-profile-configurations.3398926/

Also when running 4 dimms the maximum stable speed is usually lower for to the extra load on the memory controller.
Alright, thank you 😊

low end mainboards have usualy only A2+B2 slots working at full speed
they do cheap out on traces for A1+B1 slots, some will ofer only 2 slots to cheap out even more

anyway...use ram in A1+B1 slots (only those two), then do manual overclocking with memtest to find out what those 2 slots can take

Reactions: Grzegi
Feb 11, 2022
low end mainboards have usualy only A2+B2 slots working at full speed
they do cheap out on traces for A1+B1 slots, some will ofer only 2 slots to cheap out even more

Thank You, this helped to solve my problem:
On DOCP turned on and DDR4 on A1+B1 slots ram couldn't run. Only on Manual settings I coud get maximum 2800MHz. On A2+B2 slot ram is working on automatic DOCP at declared 3600MHz. My motherboard is Asus A520M-A with ryzen 5 3600, RAM: Viper Gaming by Patriot (PVS432G360C8K)

Last edited: