[SOLVED] RAM not used higher than 8GB even BIOS and Dxdiag detect I have 24GB?

Apr 3, 2020
Hi everyone,
I just bough Patriot Viper 8x2 DDR4 PC-24000 3000Mhz. I also had 4x2 Patriot Viper 8x2 DDR4 PC-24000 3000Mhz which is working good. Both of them is identical also from exact same brand.

But after I installed the 8x2. Dxdiag, CPU-Z, and Windows detect it 24GB but why Windows 10 Only give 8GB for use?
My Specs:
CPU: Ryzen 2600x 6 core
GPU: RX 560 Sapphire Pulse 4GB
MB: AsRock AB350 K4 Gaming

I tried to see at BIOS startup and it mention Single Channel memory mode. I tried to find how to switch in BIOS but i cant find it. Please help me because I really need it to work at home...

Also before i installed new 8x2 RAM, I noticed those 4x2 Installed at A1 and B1 port. Skipping the A2 and B2 slot. It is my mistake if i tried to put 8x2 at A1 and A2 slot and 4x2 B1 and B2 slot? Sorry if you kinda hard to understand my English. Its not my native language. Thank You...

Last edited:
Solution
Mixing ram isn't guaranteed even if same brand. It's why ram are bought in a packaged set. Ryzen can be more sensitive in memory differences than Intel.

It is recommended to keep to the same capacity across dimms but you can try what you have in the following slots.

Dimm order from cpu; A1 | A2 | B1 | B2. 2nd and 4th slot (A2 & B2) are the primary slots, these are populated first, then the other two for four sticks.

Put the 8GB sticks in A2 & B2. Put 4GB in opposing slots.

If that doesn't work, try the other way. 4GB sticks in A2 & B2 and 8s in A1 & B1.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Mixing ram isn't guaranteed even if same brand. It's why ram are bought in a packaged set. Ryzen can be more sensitive in memory differences than Intel.

It is recommended to keep to the same capacity across dimms but you can try what you have in the following slots.

Dimm order from cpu; A1 | A2 | B1 | B2. 2nd and 4th slot (A2 & B2) are the primary slots, these are populated first, then the other two for four sticks.

If that doesn't work, try the other way. 4GB sticks in A2 & B2 and 8s in A1 & B1.

Solution
Apr 3, 2020

Hi. Thanks for the reply. I tried the 8x2 to A1 B1 and 4x2 A2 B2. Strangely now i had 12GB so either one of 4gb and 8gb not detected?? I already tried changing the MS Config and the paging files. But it didnt change anything. Updated the BIOS to my AsRock but nothing change. Is it windows problems or my socket just defect?? Ive only had 2 slot A1 B1 equipped before..

Apr 3, 2020
Test only 8GB in A2 and B2, remove the 4GB sticks. Do you get 16GB?

Msconfig/pagefile has nothing to do with this.
I removed 4x2 sticks. Test 8x2 at A1 B1 slot and it only detects 8gb. Now testing it with A2 B2 now its giving me 16GB. So after i searched for awhile. Ryzen 2600x cant support quad channel sadly. Idk if its all the exact same RAM tho. But I think this is it. So thank you for your help. Now I must sell my 4x2 8GB...

boju

Titan
Ambassador
For future reference, this is the memory configuration for all dual channel boards.

1K39hPk.png