[SOLVED] RAM not working i7 9700k

Apollolololo

Reputable
Mar 26, 2016
I just installed my new CPU and I think my RAM is not working properly. When ever I try to activate the XMP mode on my BIOS my PC wont turn on and normally the RAM speed on the BIOS would be 800mhz. I dont know whats wrong with it, I switched from a HyperX Ram cuz it was giving me trouble and now with this new Ram is the same thing. I dont know if its the RAM but now im getting 90 fps and dropping to even 30 or less on games when I normally would get 300+ stable fps and I dont know what to do.

Dont know if its the RAM or my motherboard the issue here.

Please help!

CPU-Z: View: https://imgur.com/a/TqLWNLA

CMD speed shown: View: https://imgur.com/a/WqYG1rx

What im working with is

i7 9700k
MSI MEG Z390 ACE
32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 (4 sticks)
ASUS ROG 2080 A8G
750W Gold Certificate PSU

Solution
Unfortunately, this is probably going to be a possible two part fix. I'd RMA the memory first. If that fails to cure the problem then RMA the motherboard. The reason being, you simply can't run memtest to check the memory IF there is a problem with the motherboard that is bad enough to cause what is happening, to happen. It will still fail and the result won't be any more reassuring than simply assuming it's bad and sending it back for replacement.

Apollolololo

Reputable
Mar 26, 2016
I just installed my new CPU and I think my RAM is not working properly. When ever I try to activate the XMP mode on my BIOS my PC wont turn on and normally the RAM speed on the BIOS would be 800mhz. I dont know whats wrong with it, I switched from a HyperX Ram cuz it was giving me trouble and now with this new Ram is the same thing. I dont know if its the RAM but now im getting 90 fps and dropping to even 30 or less on games when I normally would get 300+ stable fps and I dont know what to do.

Dont know if its the RAM or my motherboard the issue here.

Please help!

CPU-Z: View: https://imgur.com/a/TqLWNLA

CMD Ram speed: View: https://imgur.com/a/WqYG1rx

What im working with is

i7 9700k
MSI MEG Z390 ACE
32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 (4 sticks)
ASUS ROG 2080 A8G
750W Gold Certificate PSU

What is the EXACT model of your power supply?

What happens when you take out all of the memory except one stick, left in the A2 (Second slot from the CPU) and run it that way? Because clearly your memory is not running at anywhere near even the basic default speed for that platform, much less at the XMP advertised speed.

Was all this memory purchased together in one kit, where it all came in the same box, or is this four mixed sticks of different or even same part numbers?

Honestly, I think you should first remove the CPU (You will need to clean off the old paste and apply new paste afterwards, so expect to have to do that) and check to see if any pins were bent on the motherboard during installation, because generally this kind of situation only comes up when there are bent pins OR when the memory is not all properly installed and fully seated.

Reactions: Apollolololo

Apollolololo

Reputable
Mar 26, 2016
What is the EXACT model of your power supply?

What happens when you take out all of the memory except one stick, left in the A2 (Second slot from the CPU) and run it that way? Because clearly your memory is not running at anywhere near even the basic default speed for that platform, much less at the XMP advertised speed.

Was all this memory purchased together in one kit, where it all came in the same box, or is this four mixed sticks of different or even same part numbers?

Honestly, I think you should first remove the CPU (You will need to clean off the old paste and apply new paste afterwards, so expect to have to do that) and check to see if any pins were bent on the motherboard during installation, because generally this kind of situation only comes up when there are bent pins OR when the memory is not all properly installed and fully seated.
The PSU is a CoolerMaster V750W Gold certificate. All the memory was purchased together in one kit, 4 sticks 8GB each. At first I thought it was the CPU or something and I did exactly that. Reapplied the thermal paste and put the CPU back again, but the result was still the same.

Unfortunately, this is probably going to be a possible two part fix. I'd RMA the memory first. If that fails to cure the problem then RMA the motherboard. The reason being, you simply can't run memtest to check the memory IF there is a problem with the motherboard that is bad enough to cause what is happening, to happen. It will still fail and the result won't be any more reassuring than simply assuming it's bad and sending it back for replacement.

Reactions: Apollolololo
Solution

Apollolololo

Reputable
Mar 26, 2016
Yep I guess the motherboard was faulty. Got my new MOBO and the rig is running smoothly.

Last edited by a moderator: