Hyziu

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2015
Hello everyone!

I'm having issues with my new build, PC won't turn on when I use optimised RAM slots (A2,B2) but will boot up when RAM is in A1,A2 however speed is locked at 2666MHz.

Setup
CPU
Intel Core i7 12700 Alder Lake-S CPU
CPU Cooler Be Quiet! Dark Rock 4 CPU Air Tower Cooler
RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 32GB 3600MHz 2x16GB DDR4
MOBO MSI PRO B660M-A WIFI DDR4 Intel Motherboard
Storage Crucial P2 1TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe SSD
Video Card RTX 3070Ti
Case Lian Li Lancool II Mesh RGB Mid Tower Gaming Case
Power Supply Corsair RM Series RM850 850W Modular 80+ Gold PSU
OS Windows 10 Pro fresh install

BIOS is updated to the latest version, clearing CMOS did nothing. Single stick of RAM works in A1/A2 however when inserting second stick of RAM in B1/B2 the CPU flashes red and DRAM flashes amber.

Any help is greatly appreciated :)

Solution
This could be a result of CPU or mobo. It could be an issue with the RAM itself, although less likely.

Would probably try to source some loaner DDR4 to try before moving on to the other aspects. Hopefully this is all new enough for return or RMA.
If the RAM doesn't work, would go next best (cheap) route and triple check the socket for damage or debris. After that the checking gets expensive.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
This could be a result of CPU or mobo. It could be an issue with the RAM itself, although less likely.

Would probably try to source some loaner DDR4 to try before moving on to the other aspects. Hopefully this is all new enough for return or RMA.
If the RAM doesn't work, would go next best (cheap) route and triple check the socket for damage or debris. After that the checking gets expensive.

Solution

Hyziu

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2015

Socket had some pins damaged when it came in however I ignored it as CPU was all fine, is that the issue?

Wanted to upload an image but there's an error when doing so.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
At least that aspect makes the troubleshooting easy for you.

edit- seriously, every pin in the array is there for a reason. The CPU is in control of the memory lanes on modern design. There are a load of videos out about repairing bent pins (for LGA) but your best bet is return or RMA if such applies.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hyziu

Hyziu

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2015
At least that aspect makes the troubleshooting easy for you.

edit- seriously, every pin in the array is there for a reason. The CPU is in control of the memory lanes on modern design. There are a load of videos out about repairing bent pins (for LGA) but your best bet is return or RMA if such applies.

Sent the MOBO for returns from cclonline.com however the small text said that bent pins is user fault, I'm fully confident that this wasn't caused by me in anyway so hopefully I'll get my money back and new MOBO is on the way, thanks!

TRENDING THREADS