[SOLVED] RAM NTB - what is priority MHz or CAS latency

May 6, 2021
Good day. I ask the experienced. Dell Precision 7740. Supports 2666 and 3200 MHz RAM. RAM HyperX 2666 / CL 16 and 3200 / CL 20. Which one is more suitable? The website writes that the higher the frequency (up to the level of FSB support) and the lowest possible CL. Also, it is entrusted with frequency with CAS and a higher number is better. However, the two memories have almost the same frequency / time score. The question is: without taking into account the price, which parameter will ensure better performance? Frequency or CL? Very THX. Miroslav

Solution
The question is: without taking into account the price, which parameter will ensure better performance?
Go with the fastest RAM that the system supports first, then the lowest CL you can find at that speed. The absolute latency in the standard JEDEC timings are basically the same so there's really no point in trying to weigh one over the other in isolation.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Can you parse the SKU to your mobile computing device or perhaps state the processor that you've got in your mobile workstation? You should also parse a link to the sticks of ram that you're looking at. A budget would also help us suggest other brands or kits for the laptop. Higher frequencies with tight timings will come a premium. I'd advise on higher bandwidth/frequency. You should be able to drop in ECC ram, that's what the spec sheet tells me.

As a side note, please mention the sort of tasks you employ the laptop with. In your scenario, you might not benefit from having one or the other, rather both or perhaps only a copious amount of ram.

The question is: without taking into account the price, which parameter will ensure better performance?
Go with the fastest RAM that the system supports first, then the lowest CL you can find at that speed. The absolute latency in the standard JEDEC timings are basically the same so there's really no point in trying to weigh one over the other in isolation.

Solution
May 6, 2021
Choďte s najrýchlejšou pamäťou RAM, ktorú systém podporuje ako prvý, potom s najnižšou CL, ktorú môžete nájsť pri tejto rýchlosti. Absolútna latencia v štandardných časovaniach JEDEC je v podstate rovnaká, takže naozaj nemá zmysel snažiť sa vážiť jeden nad druhom izolovane.
[/CIT]
Choďte s najrýchlejšou pamäťou RAM, ktorú systém podporuje ako prvý, potom s najnižšou CL, ktorú môžete nájsť pri tejto rýchlosti. Absolútna latencia v štandardných časovaniach JEDEC je v podstate rovnaká, takže naozaj nemá zmysel snažiť sa vážiť jeden nad druhom izolovane.
[/CIT]
Ako ja odpovedá Lutfij, CL20 Impact CL - 20-22-22

HyperX SO-DIMM 64GB KIT DDR4 2666 MHz CL16 Náraz
CL 16-18-18. 1.2V napájanie, žiadne nastavenia systému BIOS. Možno keby niekto mohol nastaviť BIOS nastaviť napätie RAM na 1,35 V, bolo by to GENIAL. Ale pravdepodobne snívam o nemožné .... V takom prípade by ballistix 3200 / 16CL 1,35 V bol TOP.
Ďakujem, že ste sa snažili poradiť. Miroslav

May 6, 2021
[/CIT]
Ako odpoviem Lutfij, zameriavam sa na výber z dvoch RAM: HyperX SO-DIMM 64GB KIT DDR4 3200MHz CL20 Impact CL - 20-22-22

HyperX SO-DIMM 64GB KIT DDR4 2666 MHz CL16 Náraz
CL 16-18-18. 1.2V napájanie, žiadne nastavenia systému BIOS. Možno keby niekto mohol nastaviť BIOS nastaviť napätie RAM na 1,35 V, bolo by to GENIAL. Ale pravdepodobne snívam o nemožné .... V takom prípade by ballistix 3200 / 16CL 1,35 V bol TOP.
Ďakujem, že ste sa snažili poradiť. Miroslav

May 6, 2021
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Can you parse the SKU to your mobile computing device or perhaps state the processor that you've got in your mobile workstation? You should also parse a link to the sticks of ram that you're looking at. A budget would also help us suggest other brands or kits for the laptop. Higher frequencies with tight timings will come a premium. I'd advise on higher bandwidth/frequency. You should be able to drop in ECC ram, that's what the spec sheet tells me.

As a side note, please mention the sort of tasks you employ the laptop with. In your scenario, you might not benefit from having one or the other, rather both or perhaps only a copious amount of ram.
Good day. Thank you very much for your willingness to share your knowledge and experience. I'm sorry, I don't know English, I use Google Translator.1) Dell Precision 7740, OctalCore Intel Core i9-9980HK, 4700 MHz (47 x 100), currently DDR4 RAM Hynix 2x16 GB, 1.2V. SSD Micron 2200S, Gen3x4 - NVMe2, 1TB - operating system win10Pro, HDD Western Digital, 2.5 "/ 7200 rpm, 1TB - data. I use Dell for everything - Office work, web - surfing, search - I have a lot of cards open, documents , photos, I count to process video - family photos, stories RAM I want to have a total of 128 GB I had Ballistix Crucial 3200Mhz / CL16 RAM for the test The seller stated 1.2V, but the reality is 1.35 V. They went extra fast, but No settings for RAM or voltage are possible in the BIOS :-(. I returned the goods. I used RAM Impact HyperX for the test: 1) HyperX SO-DIMM 64GB KIT DDR4 3200MHz CL20 Impact CL - 20-22-22 I asked Kingston to comment which of 1) and 2) HyperX SO-DIMM 64GB KIT DDR4 2666 MHz CL16 Impact CL 16-18-18 is more appropriate. They said that neither one because they are built on overclock and 3200 Mhz is slowed to 2666 Mhz They asked me to send screen cpu-z so I don't understand what to do anymore I want to have a quick laptop, subjectively and with performance I want to choose the best memory. Thank you again for your willingness to share and advise. Miroslav