[SOLVED] RAM numbers meanings

chadpmarshall

Honorable
Sep 8, 2016
My current MOBO says it supports in terms of memory : 228 PIN DDR4 3466(O.C.)/ 3400/ 3333/ 3300/ 3200/ 3000/ 2800/ 2666/ 2400/ 2133.
With that being said, I don’t understand all of these numbers entirely when it comes to purchasing. When I’m shopping, what are the key things I need to look for? As long as it is 228 pin, and ANY one of those groups of numbers which I am assuming is speed or something similar? I apologize if this has been answered before, I just couldn’t find it. Everyone here is simply amazing at pricing help to the guys with less computer hardware experience. I thank you in advance.

Solution
Like Realbeast said, you probably want a 3200mhz kit, max. Anything faster than that on Z170 and you'll either face configuration issues or simply not be able to run them at their rated speed without dropping an overclock on the CPU, or in some cases, at all.

I'd recommend sticking to a two DIMM kit if possible. If you need 16GB, get 2 x8GB. If you need 32GB, get a 2 x16GB kit. There is less stress and less heat on the CPU/IMC with two DIMMs than there is with four. Four is ok, but two would be preferred, especially at higher speeds. Some memory kits won't even run at their rated speed on a dual channel board using four DIMMs.

RealBeast

Titan
288 pin.

AMD or Intel board? Model number? (to insure full compatibility)

Take a look at G.Skill 2400, 3000, 3200, etc. depending on your budget and their current pricing. Buy them in a kit, so 2 or 4 matched sticks again depending on need and budget.

Like Realbeast said, you probably want a 3200mhz kit, max. Anything faster than that on Z170 and you'll either face configuration issues or simply not be able to run them at their rated speed without dropping an overclock on the CPU, or in some cases, at all.

I'd recommend sticking to a two DIMM kit if possible. If you need 16GB, get 2 x8GB. If you need 32GB, get a 2 x16GB kit. There is less stress and less heat on the CPU/IMC with two DIMMs than there is with four. Four is ok, but two would be preferred, especially at higher speeds. Some memory kits won't even run at their rated speed on a dual channel board using four DIMMs.

Reactions: chadpmarshall
Solution

chadpmarshall

Honorable
Sep 8, 2016

Roger that. It sounds like I was pretty much on the right track. Many of the numbers do nothing more than confuse most. I appreciate the feedback and the suggestions. This absolutely the best forum out there if it’s kind. Many thanks!