[SOLVED] RAM OC Issue Ryzen 9 build - Please help PC keeps freezing!! I WILL GIVE AWAY 3700x to whoever can get this done.

Dec 7, 2020
Hi everyone and happy holidays!

I recently tried to tweak with my RAM (T force Vulcan 3200mhz 4x8) and OC it. I raised the mhz to 3600 and reduced the timings all by 1. My pc still boots but when i try to do anything it just freezes and crashes. Sometimes on my bootup I get "Memory OC failed". I reset all the settings, even on my CPU. ( i even took out the mobo battery to totally reset it. It still does the same thing) Is it just an issue of not enough voltage? My pc ran fine with all these parts until i messed with my ram - it still boots but it freezes after a min. Any help here would be greatly appreciated!

Current Build
Ryzen 5900x (water cooled with Corsair)
Nvidia 3080 FE
4 x 8 GB 3200mhz t force Vulcan
1000 W plat PSU
MSI x570 pro gaming carbon mobo
Samsung 970 m.2

WHOEVER CAN FIX THIS I WILL GIVE YOU MY 3700x (replaced with 5900) AS A THANK YOU BC I WOULDVE SPENT WAY MORE ON MOBO AND RAM REPLACEMENT - i have it on my shelf as a trophy but someone who can fix this for me deserves it. First person to fix gets it.

Solution
TLZGD416G3200HC16CDC01
Did your PC work fine with just the A-XMP 3200 profile enabled ?
And why did you buy 2 separate 2x8 kits instead of a 32 GB (4x8 or 2x16) kit ?
Mixing kits almost always leads to problems.
Did you Update the BIOS for the 5900x ?

If so I would do this:
Clear CMOS using these steps:
Unplug the PC (PSU).
Then press the Power Button for at least 30 seconds.
Use a flat headed screwdriver to short the CLR CMOS (JBat1) Jumper (Touch both jumper pins with the screwdriver) for at least 15 seconds.
JBAT1 jumper location can be seen on page 39 here:
E7B93v1.2.pdf (msi.com)
Plug the PC back in.
Press the Power Button to turn the PC on.
Repeatedly tap the DEL key
A screen should come up telling you to press the...
Dec 7, 2020
You should likely utilize the RAM timing calculator. Timings don't exactly work that way, typically.

Rather than reduce timing you likely need to be adding some in. After sorting that aspect you may or may not actually be able to OC that high.
OK so if the RAM is rated for 3200 mhz i shouldn't go higher than and for the timing calculator, how will i access that if my PC freezes and crashes after a few min ? In other words does the timing calc scan my ram, or do i just type in my model # and it provides me with the optimal timings ?

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
OK so if the RAM is rated for 3200 mhz i shouldn't go higher than and for the timing calculator, how will i access that if my PC freezes and crashes after a few min ? In other words does the timing calc scan my ram, or do i just type in my model # and it provides me with the optimal timings ?

Turn off XMP/OC and see if the computer is stable. I note you saying it all worked fine till you tried this OC and now in spite of doing a CMOS reset it continues to crash.

I would consider trying the RAM in another system if you have one available to see if it is damaged, perhaps try other RAM in this to see if it will return to stability. When you start playing around with OC/voltages things can be damaged. It sounds like this may be the case in this instance.

Reactions: DowJonesMahomes

bfollett

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2005
You should use Thaiphoon Burner (Trial version) to first identify what chips are used in your ram before using DRam Calculator. There are tutorials on youtube for using both programs(in conjuntion). As someone stated try turning off xmp first. You might even want to find the Cmos reset jumper on your motherboard if things seem too screwed up.

Reactions: alexbirdie
Dec 7, 2020
Turn off XMP/OC and see if the computer is stable. I note you saying it all worked fine till you tried this OC and now in spite of doing a CMOS reset it continues to crash.

I would consider trying the RAM in another system if you have one available to see if it is damaged, perhaps try other RAM in this to see if it will return to stability. When you start playing around with OC/voltages things can be damaged. It sounds like this may be the case in this instance.

Thanks for the feedback!! I will try this - if something is damaged I pray to the PC gods its only my RAM ( i didnt do anything crazy to my Ryzen 5900 except use the Precision boost which worked fine

Dec 7, 2020
What EXACT model RAM kit do you have ???
Exact RAM kit =
TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z 16GB Kit (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz (PC4 25600) CL16 Desktop Memory Module Ram (Gray) - TLZGD416G3200HC16CDC01

I have 4 ram sticks (4x6b = 32 total gb of ram - have been using these same 4 for months and never had issue until i messed with volts, timings, and frequency

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
TLZGD416G3200HC16CDC01

If so I would do this:
Unplug the PC (PSU).
Use a flat headed screwdriver to short the CLR CMOS (JBat1) Jumper (Touch both jumper pins with the screwdriver) for at least 15 seconds.
E7B93v1.2.pdf (msi.com)
Plug the PC back in.
A screen should come up telling you to press the F1 key, do that.
Set the Optimized Default settings and Press OK (this is on the EXIT tab)
Save and exit the BIOS.
Tap the DEL key again to enter the BIOS and Enable the A-XMP 3200 Profile then save and exit again.

If that doesn't work try enabling the A-XMP profile But change the DRAM (Memory) Frequency to 2933 and see if that works.

Last edited:
Solution
Dec 7, 2020

If so I would do this:
Unplug the PC (PSU).
E7B93v1.2.pdf (msi.com)
Plug the PC back in.
A screen should come up telling you to press the F1 key, do that.
Set the Optimized Default settings and Press OK (this is on the EXIT tab)
Save and exit the BIOS.
Tap the DEL key again to enter the BIOS and Enable the A-XMP 3200 Profile then save and exit again.

If that doesn't work try enabling the A-XMP profile But change the DRAM (Memory) Frequency to 2933 and see if that works.

Really appreciate you taking the time to write this!!! I will try this when i get home and keep the forum posted on what happens. Also ive been reading that using Ryzen Master can do something similar and there is a reset button in ryzen - are you familiar with this ?

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
Really appreciate you taking the time to write this!!! I will try this when i get home and keep the forum posted on what happens. Also ive been reading that using Ryzen Master can do something similar and there is a reset button in ryzen - are you familiar with this ?
Do NOT use Ryzen Master to OC it can cause issues that are difficult to trace !!!!
It is OK for testing an OC But then you need to actually OC in the BIOS.
But for now just forget about OCing and follow the steps I posted.