Question ram OC issues with ryzen 2700x

Jun 26, 2019
Hey guys i really need help with this. Ive tried my best on google with little luck. I just build everything from scratch.
system:
ROG Crosshair hero vii
ryzen 2700x
corsair vengance rgb pro 3200. (dual 16gb each)
gpu rtx2080
ok my issue is that my ram wont go past 1066mz they are mounted on slots a2 and b2. if i load the D.O.C.P standard profile my computer crashes when i try to open any program which i know could possibly mean stability issues.
I would really appreciate some images or specific guide with numbers of someone who has been able to get more speed out of this rams. Bios is on latest version.
Thanks so much in advance.

Last edited:
Try bumping the DRAM voltage up by .005-.020v. Save settings, restart. 1066 is actually 2133mhz which is the default speed for most DDR4 on Ryzen. That part is normal.

Before doing that though, make absolutely certain you have the MOST recent BIOS version available for your motherboard installed. That is the MOST important thing you can do to ensure memory compatibility and performance.

If that fails to work, you may have to try the Ryzen calculator which you can find with a quick google search.

RAM rated at 3200MHz is OC RAM and profiles XMP and D.O.C.P do not work.
Although not listed on the QVL, your DIMMs should work however you will have to manually enter SPD information and tweak your Primary timings and voltage in Bios. SPD information can be got from CPUz in windows or from the Tools menu in Bios.
As Darkbreeze has said you can also use the Ryzen calculator in conjunction with Thaiphoon however a little technical knowledge on the product helps

QVL is rarely, actually never, a complete list of compatible memory so the fact that your kit or sticks aren't listed isn't the telling factor.

Update to the latest BIOS and try again. If that doesn't work, then you'll have to likely manually configure the timings and voltage along with the speed.

I know you've indicated they are installed in the A2 and B2 slots, but let's be certain on that because some of the imagery in the various product manuals is not entirely accurate. Look on the board and make sure. They will be the second and fourth slots over from the CPU socket.

Also of note is the fact that on Ryzen, not unlike other platforms, but to a higher degree, using memory that didn't specifically come together in a kit often becomes problematic. These sticks did come in a set, yes?

Ok, first of all, let me be VERY CLEAR: You are doing this at your OWN risk (overclocking).

That being said:
Get Typhoon burner Freeware to get the full specs of your RAM: http://www.softnology.biz/files.html
Save the info (print it for example) out of the PC.
Get the Ryzen Ram OC calculator: https://www.techpowerup.com/download/ryzen-dram-calculator/
Save the data out of the PC
Go to Bios and manually intro new data.

Have fun trying settings for the next 3 days (took me 4 in total, before I decided its not worth it).

You youtube if you dont know how it works.
I also suggest youtubing Ryzen ram overclock.

I managed to get my Ryzen 1700 to 3200MHz 32GB stable in everything except overwatch (for some reason that game hates RAM OC on Ryzen, I assume the infinity fabric misstimed with that ram speed or CPU clock cycle is messing up something in the engine).

Jun 26, 2019
QVL is rarely, actually never, a complete list of compatible memory so the fact that your kit or sticks aren't listed isn't the telling factor.

Update to the latest BIOS and try again. If that doesn't work, then you'll have to likely manually configure the timings and voltage along with the speed.

I know you've indicated they are installed in the A2 and B2 slots, but let's be certain on that because some of the imagery in the various product manuals is not entirely accurate. Look on the board and make sure. They will be the second and fourth slots over from the CPU socket.

Also of note is the fact that on Ryzen, not unlike other platforms, but to a higher degree, using memory that didn't specifically come together in a kit often becomes problematic. These sticks did come in a set, yes?
Confirmed the ram are on the right slots. And yes they came in set of 2x16 gb no matter what I do my pc won't boot. After twiking the minimum stuff. Honestly after all this money spent I feel scammed. I will not give up tho

Have you tried a single module in both the A2 and in the B2 slots to see if it will POST without both installed at the same time?

Then, if it will POST, check to see what BIOS version it came with OR look on the box the motherboard came in. Sometimes they list the BIOS version on the box.

Actually, it's ALL consumer dual channel platforms. They might call the slots by different names in some cases, but they are still always the second and fourth slots from the CPU on every dual channel DDR3 and DDR4 motherboard I've ever seen. EVERY one of them. Not saying you have, but if you've seen a consumer dual channel motherboard that lists different primary population rules, I'd like to see it, because I'm always on the lookout for one although I've never found one.

Reactions: CountMike