[SOLVED] Ram OC questions.

Nov 3, 2019
I'm currently using pc with these specs:

ASRock H370 Pro4
Intel Core i5-9400F
16GB (2x8) Crucial Ballistix Elite DDR4 - 2666Mhz - 16CL

I saw that I can configure my ram timings and voltage in the BIOS (v 4.10) and I'm currently trying to OC my ram. I know that I can't get it past 2666Mhz becouse this board limits me off, but I'm trying to achieve lower timings. Default timings of the ram are 16-17-17-36 2T (1.2V) and I've OC'ed it to 14-14-14-35 1T (1.35V). The question is can I lower the timings more and if so how much? Like 12-12-12-32 1T (1.35V/1.4V)? Would it work? Would it be safe for like 24/7 usage?

Solution
You should run 4 passes of memtest86 just to confirm that a change in a RAM timing is stable. I have had unstable RAM that then past short prime95 and aida64 stress tests.

A good short test would be to download Ryzen DRAM Calculator 1.7.0 and run a full memtest for 600%. You can also run memtest86 for 4 passes. Should take over two hours to complete. The issue with running RAM tests for very long periods is that you will eventually get some errors. This is the reason EEC RAM exists but the errors should be very very rare. You really should never see any errors.

Most people run memtest for long periods like 24 hours or more. This is only worth doing once you have got a final set of timing and have stopped tuning your RAM timings.
Nov 3, 2019
So my board limits me off with only 1.35V but as far as I'm trying to tight the timings it's getting better. What I've achieved:

XMP Profile 1 > enabled
(1.2V) > (1.35V)
(16) > (12)
(17) > (12)
(17) > (12)
(36) > (28 [lowest possible for my board])
(2T) > (1T)
Every other setting is on Auto.

Been running AIDA64 Extreme stress test for about an hour and everything was fine.
Also tried Prime95 stress for an hour, everything went fine as well.
Finally I've tried memtest with only 1 pass and it succeeded without any errors. Here are some screenshots:
View: https://imgur.com/a/ugdT22r

Userbenchmark (CPU & RAM):
View: https://imgur.com/a/6Sjiynh

Passmark (CPU & RAM):
View: https://imgur.com/a/cznscab

My ram is now running 12-12-12-28 1T.
Would you consider it as stable?
Should I try to lower the timings more, will it be worth it?
Should I change any other option? In the dramm configuration tab there are like a 100 options with various values.
Is there any risk?

Last edited:

zx128k

Reputable
You should run 4 passes of memtest86 just to confirm that a change in a RAM timing is stable. I have had unstable RAM that then past short prime95 and aida64 stress tests.

A good short test would be to download Ryzen DRAM Calculator 1.7.0 and run a full memtest for 600%. You can also run memtest86 for 4 passes. Should take over two hours to complete. The issue with running RAM tests for very long periods is that you will eventually get some errors. This is the reason EEC RAM exists but the errors should be very very rare. You really should never see any errors.

Most people run memtest for long periods like 24 hours or more. This is only worth doing once you have got a final set of timing and have stopped tuning your RAM timings.

Last edited:
Solution

TRENDING THREADS