[SOLVED] RAM only works once after upgrade

Dec 7, 2020
Hi.
I just upgraded my work computer (a HP Elitebook 850 G5 - 5DG16ES). One of the parts I wanted to upgrade was RAM.
I also changed to a bigger harddrive, and that went well. After properly installing windows and such I swapped from 1 module of 16GB RAM to 2 modules of 32GB RAM each.
Checking the maximum memory capacity in cmd, I saw that it should be capable of handling the larger memory size. (running: "wmic memphysical get MaxCapacity")
But the interesting part is not that it's not working. It's that it works ONCE.
ONCE after swapping from the old 16GB to the new 64GB, it boots up fine (after nagging once that it detected a new memory setup, that is), and windows starts and everyone is happy.
But after shutting it down, and rebooting it, I get after a second or so after pressing the power button, a couple of angry beeps. First 3 longer ones, and then 2 shorter ones. After checking, this is (unsurprisingly) related to memory issues.
Shutting it down and restarting wont help.
Shutting it down, unplugging the battery and reseating the RAM modules wont help.
The only thing that helped was reinserting the old RAM, starting it up, shutting it down, and then trying with the new RAM again (unplugging the battery in between, naturally).
And again, it only worked once. I tried this 3 times to be sure.
The old RAM works any number of times. Restarted 3 times to be sure.

What on Earth could allow it to work just once? And how do I fix it?

Last edited:
Solution
Surprised but not surprising.

It shouldn't work but it does....

Happens with cars, appliances, computers.... etc.

Still the 64 GB (2 x 32 GB kit) may work without the described problems but it will be interesting to see if all (hopefully) 64 GB are actually used.

Ralston18

Titan
Is the following link a match to your computer?

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05903028#AbT5

If so, scroll down to "Memory". It appears that the computer only supports 32 GB RAM total. Not 64 as you have installed.

And if, it is later determined that 64 GB RAM is supported, did you purchase a matched set of 32 GB RAM modules for dual memory use?

Check both the Elitebook's User Manual and HP's website to double check supported RAM configurations.

Dec 7, 2020
Is the following link a match to your computer?

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05903028#AbT5

If so, scroll down to "Memory". It appears that the computer only supports 32 GB RAM total. Not 64 as you have installed.

And if, it is later determined that 64 GB RAM is supported, did you purchase a matched set of 32 GB RAM modules for dual memory use?

Check both the Elitebook's User Manual and HP's website to double check supported RAM configurations.

Yes, I noticed that HP had their 32GB limit afterwards. That doesn't explain why it works once though - the most intuitive outcome would be that it either works, or not at all.
Yes, it is a matched pair of 32GB modules.
However, I found a site that sells 64GB RAM kits for That specific computer as well - indicating that the 32GB limit isn't set in stone.
https://www.compuram.biz/memory/hp-...850-g5/64gb-dual-channel-memory-kit-xb1cf.htm

Ralston18

Titan
Surprised but not surprising.

It shouldn't work but it does....

Happens with cars, appliances, computers.... etc.

Still the 64 GB (2 x 32 GB kit) may work without the described problems but it will be interesting to see if all (hopefully) 64 GB are actually used.

Solution